Should I buy a Walther TPH???

LOCHFAL

One of the other threads got me thinking about a gun I once wanted. I remember when the Walther TPH came out I wanted one. They are very thin and have the styling of the PPK type pistols but of course smaller. Anyone have one or opinions on them? I don't need it for defence just to have and plink with. Also it may be the only gun I can get the wife to pack around in her purse.

Skyhawk

LOCHFAL,

I have had a TPH for several years. They are a nice little piece, but a little pricey. I occasionally use mine as a backup.

This is a small firearm and it requires a modified grip position, by the user, to avoid being cut by the slide while firing.

Skyhawk

[This message has been edited by Skyhawk (edited February 01, 2000).]

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I have not heard much good about its reliability or accuracy but have to agree -- it looks GOOD. Note just how heavy it is...for a carry gun, there are better, lighter choices, IMO.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Kentucky Rifle

The little pistol has great looks. However, there are some in the used gun display at one of the shops I frequent. That puts me off a little.
If they are good, why did these get traded in? They still look new.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

D Roberson

I've had a stainless TPH since about early 1988. A friend bought one at just about the same time, but while mine was reliable with Stingers and about any copper-coated ball ammo, the other one wasn't. After a few years, mine began having occasional failures to feed as well. It still does, and I can't figure out why. I guess someday I may send it somewhere to be looked at, but Walther 'smiths aren't easy to find, and I don't rely on the gun for defense anyway, so it's not a high priority for me.

It is indeed very flat and concealable, even in a suit. Works well as a "going to church" gun.

Hard Ball

In my experience the TPH is an excellent pistol, remarkably accurate for ots size. HOWEVER, it is ammunition sensitive. Ypu must use .22LR high velpcity loadings and solid nose bullets seem to work better than hollow points. If you get one. I recommend that you get boxes of high velocity ammunition from several different manufacturers and stick with the ones that work.

Richardf4

You can reach Walther Customer Service USA at:
1-800-372-6454

2100 Roosevelt Ave., Springfield, MA 01104

I guess someday I may send it somewhere to be looked at, but Walther 'smiths aren't easy to find, and I don't rely on the gun for defense anyway, so it's not a high priority for me.

Sierra

I have had a TPH for three years. Mine is an Interarms one and it has had its share of problems. Bad machining gouges, plating coming off and the entire magazine release mechanism breaking made for three trips to Interarms. After all that its a real gem. It will shoot about any .22, its small and goes places where no other firearm could be carried, its very accurate and much better IMHO that Beretta or Taraus .22's irrespective of the Gun Test Magazine reports. I put up with a lot of inconvenience with this firearm but it was worth the wait. Incidentally, I believe I could have avoided all of the above if I purchased a TPH from Germany (See Earls Repair Service) but my finances would not permit it.

7th Fleet

I have always wanted one but have heard nothing good about them from people who owned them, seem to show up in the used gun cases quite often. I will get a Kel-Tec p-32, more powerful and less expensive and they are getting good response from the folks who own them.

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.

LOCHFAL

Thanks for all the responses. I went looking today for one and came up lacking. Anyone know if they are still made? Also if anyone knows of one in a shop in the Denver area for sale please let me know.

Jeff OTMG

I have had two TPH's. The first would not fire on DA. The second works fine. The fastest shooting pistol I own, just find the ammo that works. Best for me are CCI Mini-Mags.

pvq

I had one and sold it after my second range session. Very finicky with ammo and several times it failed to fire on the first hammer strike. IMHO, not nearly reliable enough, even for a backup.