Should I buy a Kahr K9 or CZ-83?

Molly

If you have shot both of these guns, please tell me which one has less recoil and is more accurate. No conjecture please, I want to hear from owners.

I fully understand the difference between the .380 and the 9x19 round quite well, but I really like the CZ-83, and am considering it for a CCW. I have heard some people say that the CZ-83 has a lot of recoil, being a blowback, but that it is balls-accurate and pleasant nonetheless. I have heard that the Kahr has less recoil, and is accurate too, but its price is 220% of that of the CZ. Plus the CZ has a safety, and hi-caps available (correct me if I am wrong.) So?

Thanks people

Eric Larsen

Molly,
What a dimena.....I own and have an 83 380 w/ hi cap on my hip as I type. It is "ball-accurate" and does have some recoil...its a
formidable carry gun in the right hands...
The Kahr doesnt have less recoil than the 83..if anything more, depending on what 9mm loads you shoot. Accuracy, I would not
put on par with the CZ, but is easily accurate enough to carry and
then some.

Both are mechanically beautiful, concealable and accurate. You just have 2 great choices for the same idea in mind but thats where the similarities end. The 83 is larger, has more capacity (X2 over the Kahr) and is IMO more accurate. The Kahr is more concealable and has a more powerful round...sixes/half dozen.

The bigger differences are DAO vs d/a-s/a both have great triggers, cocked and locked safety/hammer down carry vs no need for a safety, .................

To answer your question..the CZ has less recoil and is more accurate. Sorry , I got carried away...good luck

Shoot well

Peepsite

More important than the caliber, is how the gun fits you. Here is a test or exercise which should be enlightening. Go to a store, or other location where they have these two pistols, or more. Take one at a time, (of course, make sure it is cleared) in a combat stance and "draw" (several times) on a spot on the wall, a picture or clock or whatever to use as the "target". Then, in the same stance with the pistol in front of you in a combat ready stance, pistol pointed at the floor and eyes focused on the "target", close your eyes and aim the pistol at the "target" then open your eyes. Do this several times, with several pistols and see which pistol(s) is(are) on target each time you open your eyes. Individuals are often amazed at how many pistols do not naturally point for them, and some that do. The one that "points" for you is the one which deserves serious consideration. Its the one that will point for you in a dangerous situation, in the dark, or whatever. For me, its a Browning HP. Good luck!

contender4040

I have owned a covert kahr and currently own the cz83.
The cz83 is very accurate and down right smooth. It gives a sa or da mode of carry. The cz does recoil more than most .380 pistols but is still less than the kahr I would also consider the cz more realiable than the kahr. The kahr does conceal better.
The cz is on the large side for a 380.

HS2000

Hands down, I shoot my used CZ83 better than I did my Kahr. My Kahr was quite reliable, and on paper it should have had everything over the CZ, but I never could get good groups with it. Bummer, as its small size lends itself quite well to ccw for a 9mm pistol. Others have had better success with their Kahrs, so you might too.

But to give you an idea of my CZ's accuracy, a group of us brought out our pocket pistols after a pin shoot recently, just for grins and giggles to see how well they'd perform at a distance.

With one in the chamber and two full 13rd mags, I was able to hit the range's 75yd gong with 26 of 27 shots --- first shot was low. Others asked to try out the pistol, obtaining similar results.

One last thing, my CZ83 has (by far) the smoothest trigger and action of any pistol I've owned. Just a ball to shoot.

Take care. Marko

Snowdog

I've never owned a CZ-83, but put a couple hundred rounds through a friend's CZ specimen. It's a well made .380acp with a smooth trigger. I was seriously planning on purchasing my own until chased off by the price-tag.
I have a limit on how much I'll spend on a .380acp, as I have little use for the caliber.

I do own a Kahr K9 that I have carried it for the past 4 years. Personally, I find the trigger just as butter-smooth (something Kahrs are renown for) though heavier, and built like a Swiss watch (something else Kahr K- series are renown for).

My K9 is unbelievably accurate, giving "duty-size pistol" accuracy from a compact platform. I also find the K9 a bit more ergonomic than the CZ-83. I can't recall the CZ-83 I'd familiarized with ever malfunctioning, but I can't vouch for dependability from 200 or so rounds.

My K9 is reaching the 3000 round mark without a single malfunction and practically no signs of wear, despite roughly half rounds put through it were hot G-A +Ps. That's a fair indication of reliability and durability.

Of course, the CZ has the K9 beat capacity-wise, but I don't plan to miss often... and if I ever need more than 7+1 rounds, I've put myself in an awful predicament for sure. I also have a substantial amount of faith in the 9mm+P (which the K9 was designed around) over the .380acp.

The Kahr P-series and the slide-rail situation... it's certainly not in step with Kahr overlook an incorporated design flaw (if indeed it is that) in production models and can safely be surmised as a ephemeral situation.

.........................Bottom Line?...................

As I'm sure you realize, you'll get conflicting opinions, quite likely some preverications spawned by bias... therefore, this is something that ultimately boils down to your personal preference between these two fine handguns.

However, be sure to get what you really want or it'll come to haunt you later.