Should I buy a 45

Wendyj

I usually get the husband a new gun around this time of year. I notice when we go out he will look at more than I can keep up with but he’s been looking at a Walther ppq 45. FNX 45 and the HK 45. Several 1911s but keeps going back to the other 3. He owned a FNP 45 several years ago but got rid of it due to weight and size. Since then he’s mostly carrying a Glock 20 and the HK VP9 SK. I don’t think he cares much for the VP 9 since he’s always trying to give it to me to tote as a purse gun. I think the reason he’s looking at the 45 is so he doesn’t have to reload to keep plinking costs down. He loves the 10 mm and reloads around 500 at a time. Some for plinking and some 200 grain full throttle rounds. I hate to buy him something he won’t like. He’s looked at these 3 guns for 4-5 months now and usually if he really wants it he will just buy it. Any suggestions

TailGator

Nothing at all wrong with the .45. Nothing wrong with reloading it, either. You are going to know what your husband wants far better than us, though; the replies you read here are going to be what the post author likes, not what your husband likes. The last sentence of your post kind of jumps out to me, though.

smee78

Why not ask him what gun he wants you to get him? I know its fun to surprise someone when you can but with something like this, its safer to just talk it out and ask. Its the same advice I would say for anyone looking for a gun for their significant other. I personally love my FNX-45 but for some its a large gun and not for everyone. It sounds like he is currently looking for a full size 45 if the guns he keeps going back to are the 3 you listed. But if he got rid of the FNP due to weight, he may honestly not know what he currently wants and that's why he hasn't purchased one for himself.

Wendyj

He was carrying concealed a lot more when he had the FNP. Now he is spending a lot more time on horseback or fly fishing in the mountains. We live in black bear territory and although most likely never an issue lately they’ve became a nuisance. The 2 legged critters we run into a lot are probably more of an issue. Hence the reason for the Glock 20. Now most times it’s open carry so weight and size are not as much of an issue. We both-cast and reload for revolvers and he does carry a few revolvers in 44 mag and 45 colt but doesn’t pay much attention to them when we are in local gun stores. If I ask what he wants he’s going to use the same reply I’ve heard for over 30 years. I really don’t need anything.

dgludwig

If I ask what he wants he’s going to use the same reply I’ve heard for over 30 years. I really don’t need anything.

If my wife ever asked that question, the one answer she'd never receive is "I really don't need anything"-even if I really don't. ;)

Prof Young

Does he need a carry gun or a range fun gun?

You might think about a range fun gun if he goes to the range, or plinks a lot. Find a 1911 that's chambered for 22LR and turn him loose killing every tin can he can find.

Or if he want a new carry gun, get the one he's been looking at most.

Clearly he has a great wife.

Good luck.

Life is good.
Prof Young

elsancudo

My EDC is a Para Ordnance Expert Carry .45 and I absolutely love it. Shoots beautifully. Feels great in my hand. Single stack so doesn't print. Great gun. Hard to find. Also, if you can afford a Detonics, I'm sure he would love that one too.

T. O'Heir

Time on horseback cries out for an SAA. I'd be thinking Ruger due to the daft price of a Colt. The right holster matters too. And any guy who says he doesn't want to play 'cowboys' isn't telling you the truth.

kenny53

45 ACP is a great caliber. I lean towards the 1911 but I am not your husband. Read some reviews on the guns watch some you tube on the each one and make a choice or ask your husband what he wants.

Wendyj

Thanks all. Oheir, he thinks single actions are great. I think he has about 10. Casts for all of them and has spent a fortune in his favorite crossdraw holsters. I did finally just ask what he would like and he has decided he wants a Dillon 550c press this year.

L-2

I suggest NOT buying a specific handgun for someone else. This goes for a wife or husband trying to buy a gun for a spouse. Unless there's a specific gun known, there are just too many variables in model number, color, brand, and other options.

What wouldn't be wasted, however, is ammo. Perhaps 2 or 3 cases (1000 rounds/case) of ammunition of 230 grain full metal jacket of a good known brand would be appreciated and would be used, no matter which .45ACP ends up being later bought.

dgludwig

I suggest NOT buying a specific handgun for someone else.

I agree. I wouldn't want someone buying something like a watch or even a toaster for me. Most people, guys and gals, have way too many personal likes and dislikes concerning what they want (or don't want) in a firearm to take the (expensive) chance of getting the "wrong" thing-for them. I like the ammunition suggestion-not very "personal", but a safe bet for sure.

TruthTellers

If he already has the 10mm and loads for it, the .45 doesn't make much sense to own, IMO. I've been on the boat myself of a 10mm vs .45 and I'm getting the Glock 40 MOS and loading for it.

The one benefit of .45 vs 10mm is cheap factory ammo. Sometimes online stores will have sales on .45 ammo that bring the price down to $15 a box. However with a 10mm Glock, they're able to shoot .40 S&W without any modifications to them, but it would be better to just buy a .40 conversion barrel if shoot a lot.

10mm to .40 barrels are about $140, a lot less than a new pistol.

The .45 becomes a good option if you have a suppressor and that's the main reason I can't say I'll never buy a .45. As such I will look at .45's on occasion, but I'm not actively looking to buy them.

I would just ask him what he's thinking by looking at all the .45's and not buying them. Is it he's mulling over the cheaper factory ammo or is he really looking at changing to the .45 for defense or suppressor use? If it's just to plink with cheaper ammo, buy him a .40 conversion barrel, if it's because he wants a .45, you'll have to choose between the Walther and the FN.

cw308

It's nice to surprise him with a new 45 , I don't think he made up his mind which one he likes best . Maybe it's best to just say , let's go buy you a gun today .

psantos

Big holes are more fun, definitely.

Glock 30? Might be a good option, OWB, its chubby for carry. Walter PPQ also excellent.

Might want to ask him what he prefers though.

If its for carry or just target use?

I still am very fond of the 1911.