Should I build a 16" 6.8spcII upper?

rickyrick

I have my wish list filled for different 5.56 ARs. I just made a 300aac pistol and I have a spare 5.56 pistol upper.

I was thinking of Rebarreling the 5.56 pistol upper into a 6.8spc carbine to share a lower with my varmint rifle.

Eventually I will get into reloading, but with intention only I can't say that I am a reloader.

I'm a former hunter, no time in the schedule for hunting. In the meantime I've crossed into the AR world and use the time I have see to devote to hunting and shooting into building ARs and acquiring ammunition.

Why 6.8? I like the AR, I like varmint calibers; many of the small fast bullets are potent in the correct circumstances. The varmint calibers aren't always legal or appropriate, so I need to break the .25 caliber threshold. I thought long and hard about the 25-45sharps, but since I'm not a reloader yet, I'll pass.
Skip to now... using the Walmart parameter, there's always 6.8spc on the shelves, along with most other ammunition outlets.

In reality, the only purchase I'd need for the build would be a barrel and a bolt. Those are plentiful right now.

What are the pros and cons of the caliber?
What are some pitfalls to a potential build?
Does this need an adjustable gas block?

ShootistPRS

The caliber is pretty far from the "norm" as far as years in service but it is popular right now - that may change in the future but it might not.

I can see no pitfalls as long as you can get the ammo for your rifle. If you start loading in the future even a lack of availability doesn't affect you as long as you save your brass.

Adjustable gas blocks are rarely needed for standardized loads but it might come in handy with your selected caliber - especially when you start to load your own.

If I was you it would be a simple matter - build what you want and get the parts you want for your build. It is hard to go wrong with the AR platform!

marine6680

Any reason other than, you want one?

I know factory loads are a bit weak... Has SAAMI adopted the SPCII spec yet? As most manufacturers of ammo are loading to the original SPC specs. That limits the potential of the ammo unless you reload.

Looking at the 25-45 sharps data, the 87gr loads have similar ballistics as 77gr 223/556, but have higher energy.

Mobuck

Well, we have a 6x45mm and although it does what we ask of it, I feel the 6.8 is a far better short/medium range medium game round. I'm shooting factory loads in the 6.8 and while it's not a tack driver with the ammo I'm using , it's certainly accurate enough for use on deer at the ranges it's effective.
Recoil is nearly non-existent and noise level seems acceptable w/o the muffler. Maybe I'm over playing the 6.8, but I really do feel it's an adequate game round within it's limits. Possibly, with the right loads it will give top end accuracy. I just don't need that and don't have the time to spend on more than I need.

O4L

I decided just today to look into the 6.8SPC II as an option for a deer rifle.

For the first time in decades I will have a place to hunt this year and want to use an AR but want something with a little more punch than the .223/5.56.

ed308

SAAMI has not adopted 6.8 SPCII, only SPCI. No manufactures are loading 6.8 to SPCII pressure at this time. But there's a movement to make both a reality. Silver State was the last company to load 6.8 ammo to SPCII pressures but that stopped when Nosler acquire them. However, Federal's 90 gr XM Gold Dots ammo comes close to SPCII. And Hornady's 120SST sure performs like SPCII ammo. I see SPCII ammo becoming a reality soon. Buy getting SAAMI to approve SPCII may be more difficult. Remington is the reason the 6.8 got stuck with a screwed up SAAMI spec. And Remington is on SAAMI's board. If you reload, its a moot point.

When it comes to hunting, regular 6.8 ammo works fine out to 300 yards. I've read where people have taken Aoudad, deer and hogs at 400+ yards with Hornady's 120 gr SST. Federal's 90gr Gold Dot (XM ammo) and Fusion ammo, Hornady 120 gr SST are my favorites for deer and hogs. But any ammo tipped with Barnes 95 gr TTSX, Barnes 110 gr TSX, Nosler 100/110 gr Accubonds work well. For varmints, Speer's 90 TNT work well. Any 110 gr HPBT or FMJ ammo will work too.

Adjustable gas blocks are not needed for the 6.8. But many do use if they run them with a suppressor. I have three 6.8 and don't use a adjustable gas blocks. I do have H2 buffers installed to reduce swipes on the brass. I would suggest a mid-length gas system which is better suit for the 6.8. A rifle gas system works fine too. A 16" barrel is the perfect length for 6.8 IMO but SBR, 18" and 20" barrels are available.

The 6.8 is a great choice for a hunting AR. It makes a light weight hunting AR that is very lethal due to the excellent selection of hunting bullets. Recoil is only slighly more than 5.56. There are no pitfalls to building a 6.8 upper IMO. Only difference between it a .223/5.56 is the barrel, mag and bolt. For barrels, AR15 Performance (ARP) makes excellent barrels for less than $200. Their 6.8 bolts are some of the best on the market as well. I've got two ARP 6.8 barrels and both shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I also have ARP barrels in 270AR, .308, and .223 Wylde and they all shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I also have a PSA 6.8 that shoots slight larger groups.

Great place to learn about the 6.8 is via the 6.8 Forum. Lots of useful information on that forum.

Last edited:

amprecon

As I have mentioned several times here and on other forums, I would not even look at the AR rifle until they became available in 6.8spc.

I own two AR's and they're both in 6.8spcII. I bought my first one as the RRA LAR-6.8 and swapped the barrel out with a 16" ARP barrel. The second one was a DPMS in 5.56 which I promptly changed over to 6.8spcII with another 16" ARP barrel and bolt.

They are both almost identical in set-up as I removed the flash hiders on both and replaced the uppers with PSA slick side uppers.

I bought SSA 110gr. Sierra psp Tactical loads in bulk way back when so I have no shortage of good performing ammo for them.

So I would say yes, go for it, it is the caliber the AR should have been designed with from the beginning.

Mobuck

" I've got two ARP 6.8 barrels and both shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards."

What ammo are you using in your ARP 6.8 barrels? I've shot a little bit of Federal FMJ and both SSA and Federal XM 90 grain bonded but getting in the 1.5" range for 3 shots @ 100 yards with a 4x optic. Plenty good for deer out to 200 yards but marginal for coyotes at 200+.

ed308

My 1/2" groups are with my reloads and from a bench. I use Nosler 115gr Custom Comp and 28.5 grs of Accurate 2200. I load long too, 2.295. I really like the Custom Comps and use them in my 270AR, .308 and my .223 barrels. Different powders for those carlibers but same 1/2" groups size with those bullets. Hornady 110gr HPBT shoot about the same. I have good triggers installed in my ARs and plus use a higher powered scopes which really helps. With factory ammo, I can get anywhere from 3/4-1.5" groups. Horandy 120 gr SST and Federals 90 gr Gold Dots are around 3/4" on my good days and if I skip the coffee on my way to the range. For FMJ ammo (S&B or Federal), they are usually 1" or larger. The HPBT bullets are more accurate.

ed308

I use PRI mags in my regular 6.8s and Magpul's Six8 in my Six8. The PRI mags allow loading to 2.295 and I can stuff it full but it's tight. I think the Magpul mags allow slightly little longer loads but not sure of the exact measurement. I only recently build a ARP DI Six8. Before it was a piston which wasn't as accurate as my ARP 6.8 so I didn't shoot it much. I'll know more later since I'll be using the Six8 more with the Magpul mags. I also have a 10 round PRI mag with the front end removed. That allows loads out to 2.36. You can get them from Cavaity Back Bullet website. I haven't tried it in my 6.8 since I got if primarily for my 270AR. I'll eventually try it on my 6.8s to see how they performs.

http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-pri-mod-mag.htm

Last edited:

Wyosmith

I own 2 that I made myself. One 20" rifle and one 16" carbine.
So far I have 34 kills on deer and antelope with the 2 guns. They have been wonderful. I have no complaints at all.

I do hand-load my own ammo. In fact, I never shoot any factory loads. But with my loads I can't find anything to complain about. I have killed deer as close as 20 feet and as far as 375 yards, and on antelope the longest shot I have made is about 350. My very first kill with a 6.8 was a running antelope I hit too far back and had to shoot a second time.
ALL of my other kills have been one shot each.

stagpanther

I've done several builds in 6.8/6.5 AR's--and in general have found that for either one performance and accuracy greatly improves with a barrel of 18" minimum over a 16"--I have a theory that the harmonics, length and gas system for a typical 16" barrel just isn't right for these loads, I will from now on only get 20" barrels for either.

rickyrick

Interesting.
I was thinking of a 16" because I wouldn't need additional hardware aside barrel and bolt.
I trust what you say about the barrel length, so I'll give it some serious consideration.

stagpanther

Interesting.
I was thinking of a 16" because I wouldn't need additional hardware aside barrel and bolt.
I trust what you say about the barrel length, so I'll give it some serious consideration.
Just my limited experience--I would be surprised if there wasn't a bunch of other people who didn't feel just the opposite.:)

I have spent quite a bit of time playing around with QL examining potential loads and performance for these calibers--the numbers seem to suggest that both perform better at a minimum of 18"--the grendel in particular seems to "break away" from the 6.8 with heavier bullets at longer ranges in a 20" barrel--but that's just playing with QL

I've never had a 16" barrel in either the 6.8 or grendel that performed as well as an 18" barrel--but maybe I haven't tried enough 16" barrels (or my technique wasn't right).

ed308

A 16" barrel in 6.8 is the perfect size for hunting IMO. I've had 18" and 16" barrels and can't tell any difference. But for a Grendel, a 22" barrel seems to the be preferred length for that caliber. Way too long for hunting and if carrying in the field IMO. Off the bench, no problem.

Try one of ARP 16" barrels. His may change you opinion.

http://www.ar15performance.com/6_8_spc_ii

Wyosmith

Stag, by "performance" you are speaking of velocity I'd assume.
Is that so?

I have many notes on both of my 6.8s. My 20" rifle gives me about 150 FPS more velocity with the same ammo as my 16" carbine does. So I would say you are correct if "performance" = speed in your estimation.
But my builds of 6.8s with longer barrels then 20" show me that it's about maxed out at 20". I have made two 6.8 SPCs in 24" and found no gain in velocity to speak of over the 20".
No so the Grendel. You gain a little usable velocity up to about 24" with the 6.5. It just keep getting faster.

I have made a number of 6.5s, and chronographed them from 16" 18" 20" and 24" barrels and I have found the Grendel is a "rifle shell" more so then the 6.8.

The comparison of the 6.8 and the 6.5 in 16" barrels makes me like the 6.8 a bit more. Not just the numbers, but the kills I have made and seen made.

The gains you get from the Grendel over the 6.8 are really only realized when you compare the 6.5 to the 6.8 in 20" and longer barrels.

In side by side tests with top loads in the 6.5 and the 6.8, in 16" carbines I found the Grendel doesn't do any better at the muzzle then the 6.8 and in 2 cases it was actually a little slower. About 45 FPS. Not enough to impress me at all, but enough to prove to me the 6.8 is NOT inferior to the 6.5 in the short barreled carbines.

Now that's not to to say the 6.5 bullet would not out-fly the 6.8 at range. It does.

I have made them both, used them both and as a full time gunsmith I can have either one for exactly the same effort and the same cost.

I do not own a Grendel myself now.
Why?

The 6.8 has been more effective for me when killing game than the 6.5 Grendel in the 16 and 18" length barrels. I attribute the difference more to the bullets used in the 6.8 being a bit better overall then the 6.5 bullets for HUNTING. Bullet companies are paying attention today more then they were 10-15 years ago, so that gap is closing a bit.
The 125 grain Nosler Partitions in .264 closes the gap a lot, but are a bit expensive.

The .277 bullets I have used so far on my 34 head of game have all exited except for one. So I have near perfect penetration from the .277' bullets and the wound channels are notable bigger in diameter then those I have seen from the 6.5s
This is pretty typical.

I have no doubt that the 6.5 would do the same damage at longer range and surpass my 6.8s, but so far I have not seen that theory bear out.

So far I have not killed anything, or seen anything killed with the 6.5 Grendel beyond 265 yards. Up to 200 yards I expect a better result with the .277 bullets then with the .264 bullets, and so it has been, but I have only seen about 14 animals killed with the Grrendel so far, compared to a total of 106 killed by 6.8SPCs, killed by my friends and myself combined.

So the deck may be loaded unfairly in that comparison. Time will tell.

The 16" carbines are more popular not because of velocity, ("performance") but because of their compact size and fast handling. The real truth of the matter is that by FAR, most kills on deer and even antelope are at 300 yards and less, and probably 75% of them are a lot less.

From the muzzle to 200 yards, I have found the 6.8 drops deer and antelope a bit better than the 6.5 does, and the 6.8 is not giving up anything meaningful in the short barrel to the 6.5. That is to take nothign away from the 6.5. It's a very good way to go. But for me, when I want something that reaches out past 300 yards with no problem, I take my 270 Winchesters, my 25-06, my 30-06s my 8X57 my 308s or my 300 H&H.

It's interesting to point out that my 19" barreled 30-06 firing a 150 gr bullet shoots very well at longer ranges and weight only 7.2 pound scoped and loaded. Lighter than any 6.5 Grendel I have made or seen made with their 20" or 24' barrels. And WAY more powerful. Some people call power "performance" too.

In my way of thinking, I am not trying to compete the 6.5 to the 6.8. I compare the ballistics of the 6.8 to the 1955 era 257 Roberts. This with a shorter carbine instead of the 22" barreled Mausers and Remintgtons most of the Roberts were made from. No one that had any experience with the Roberts ever said it was a bad deer round. It fired 117 gr bullet from a 22" barrel at 2620 FPS. My 6.8 fires a 110 grain bullet from a 16" barrel at 2650 FPS. 7 grains less lead at 30 FPS faster. Close enough to call them the same.

I see the 6.5 as probably the best all around" AR15 round you can get if you were to only own an AR and no other rifle. It's nearly as effective as the 6.8 out to 200, about the same from 200 to 300 and I have no doubt it will pass the 6.8 at 350+.

But I do have other rifles.

Most with barrels from 20"-24" and nearly all lighter than the 6.5 Grendel rifles with 20 to 24 inch barrels. Most of the 24" Grendels weigh about 10.2 pounds scoped and loaded. My 25-06 has a 25" barrel and weighs only 7.1 pounds.
120 grain bullet at 3000 FPS

I wanted an AR that killed very well, (it does) and was effective to the normal ranges I shoot deer and antelope, and having owned and made both the 6.5s and the 6.8s, I gave up the 6.5 for long range and went back to a bolt action in 270 Winchester. If I am going to carry a 10 pound rifle with a long barrel, I can't see where the 6.5 Grendel did anything for me as well as the 270 Winchester.

That doesn't make me "right" and someone else "wrong". It's just how things fell together in my world.

To me "performance" is more about how well I can shoot a rifle than how well the rifles shoots by itself. I focus more on the "user friendliness" of the rifle than I do it's speed.

stagpanther

I agree with much of what Wyo says--especially since he's dropped quite a few deer with the 6.8 I regret mentioning it--because I don't want to start a 6.8 vs. grendel flamefest.;) Either one is going to do a great job with the right shot inside 250 yds would be my guess based on muzzle energy figures I extrapolated in QL. My performance research was based, as I mentioned, on hypothetical loads I inputted into QL although I have also loaded quite a few handloads myself but have never used them in an actual hunting scenario. I also agree that lightweight handiness is a performance factor that goes beyond just the ballistic performance of the bullet. All that said, my personal preferrence is to go with a 18" barrel or better simply for the ballistics performance gain--though I must admit I've only done a couple 6.8 and grendel builds with 16" barrels I found them more challenging to get good groupings with in a carbine set-up, they just seem "snappier" in muzzle lift than longer barreled builds I've done, but as mentioned maybe I would get better results with better barrels (or technique).

Since you put that picture in Wyo--might I ask what load that was, and range, for your 6.8? That's pretty impressive!

Wyosmith

Sure Stag, that was a Silver State case with WW Small primmer, a 100 grain Remington bullet and 28 gr of RL10

I have seen the same kind of wound channels with 27.1 of H322 and 110 gr Barnes.
I use this load with 110 gr Sierras too, but the jackets come off about 10" into the animals. I get exists, so the cores are going through but I have found the jackets on the off side rib cage with Sierras.

As a side note, I made my guns with the 6.8 was brand new and they had spec-1 chambers. The loads would show pressure fast, so I throated them both to Spec-2 or close to it.

I have now used Spec-1 Spec -2 and DMR chambers.

The Spec-1 was the most accurate ( average 5/8" and a few under 7/16") but gave the least velocity.

Spec 2 is the best compromise in my opinion. Higher velocities of about 100 to 120 FPS with groups going just under an inch.

DMR gives the highest velocities (about 65 FPS more) but with average grouping at 100 yards of 1.2" to 1.5". Still good enough for deer out to 400, but I like the tighter groups I get with the spec 2 chambers. Just my preference.