Should I be freaking out? OGEK M1 Garand for sale!

RodTheWrench

OK, as my tagline may suggest I am a huge Elmer Keith fan. I told myself about 2 years ago that if I ever came across one of the guns he rebuilt at Ogden Arsenal, I would buy it.

One just came up locally. He wants 1250 for it and an unopened spam can of WWII ammo. Am I nuts for wanting to jump in my truck right now and driving to his house before anyone else can? According to the guy, all serial numbers match WWII timeframe with exception of the barrel (1954).

Do Keith M1s carry a premium? Are there lots or few of them around? Are they more desirable than other M1s? Should I just quit freaking out and let it go?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 69

madmo44mag

I'm a big Elmer Keith fan myself.

As for collector value you cares.
If it can be verified as one of his guns I would buy it.:D

RodTheWrench

That's the rub. All the guy can tell me is his Dad had it for years and he's had it for about 10. Knowing for a fact it's a Keith gun is going to be pretty hard to do methinks. :(

1stmar

Picture is kinda bad, can't tell much. If parts are all original (not likely) it's worth it on its own if it's in decent shape. I'd learn more about the gun. If he has no proof ek owned it, it's not worth anything more than the value of the gun.

RodTheWrench

Keith didn't own it, not at all. His WWII service was spent at the Ogden, Utah Arsenal rebuilding M1 Garands among other guns. From what I read back in the day, he would get in fights with the higher-ups all the time for demanding he just throw things together instead of building them right. May be apocryphal, don't know. The fact that he handled it and had something to do with it's refurbishment is what is making me geek out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38

Orlando

How about the rest of the rifle?? The stock may not even belong with the rifle.
Need alot more info, it may be no more than a $700 Garand

jonnyc

"His WWII service was spent at the Ogden, Utah Arsenal rebuilding M1 Garands"

This, along with a 1954 barrel, leads me to question if the rifle was ever even in Ogden during Keith's tenure there.
Without something more, it's an $800 rifle with a POSSIBLE interesting story.