Should be a good week

2DaMtns

Well, I finally got my Remington 722 in 300 savage back today. I posted a story about this particular model and chambering and why it means so much to me, so I won't rehash that here. When I got the rifle it was beat up, rusted, and had no finish on the wood, but now it is almost as good as new. I will post up some pics of it later today hopefully. It is truly beautiful.

In other news, my custom Mauser in 280 Remington is also almost done. It has been a long time waiting, about 15 or 16 months, but it is so close. The stock is finished, the barrel and all the parts are bead blasted, and now that I think of it, it is probably assembled and waiting for me at the smith's shop right now. I am supposed to go pick it up Tuesday, and I am gonna get to the range with both of them on Tuesday also if the weather holds. I will post up pics of the rifles and the groups as I get them. All in all, should be a good week.

As it stands now, I am pretty well coverd for any rifle hunting I should ever do. I have a 22 for plinking and small game, a 357 for plinking and medium to close-range larger game (small whitetail, coyotes, etc.), the 300 savage for the larger game that may be a little further out, and the 280 for everything else I will likely ever hunt at the ranges I will be hunting. Maybe one of these days I'll head out west and need something else, but for now I am pretty well set up. Anyway, had a few minutes to spread the news and tell you all to be on the lookout for some new pics coming over the next few days.

2DaMtns

Pics, as promised.

SDC10725.jpg

SDC10723.jpg

SDC10722.jpg

SDC10721.jpg

SDC10720.jpg

James R. Burke

My Dad was never much of a deer hunter but he loved building guns to perfection. When I was twelve he used a Mauser 98k I believe to build my first deer rifle. He was so fussy he had it so it would fit perfect with even my jacket on that I would be using. Of course I still have it. A few years ago my wife wanted to try deer hunting, so I thought if the recoil was not a problem why not let her try that. It never did have much recoil. It was not used in about twenty years or so. The first three shots out of it went almost all in the bull. I could not believe it. She used it but did not get a deer that year, she let a few small bucks walk which made me proud, even though I told her dont worry about it being a first deer. The next year she got her own rifle, and go two for two. I guess what I am trying to say if a nice job is done they will look good for a long time. The blueing he done on it still looks perfect, its really deep and no blemish to it at all, same with the stock hand rubbed. I think at that time he paid about 30.00 for it, and got his supplies at Herter's. Yours looks great and I am sure you will have many years of plain out fun with it. Good luck, and have some fun!

Scorch

Congrats, looks nice. I especially like the fact that you did not completely fill the grain on the stock or try to give it a high-gloss finish, since the original factory guns had just barely enough finish on them to cover the grain. Also, the metal looks very nice. All around nice job.