Shotshells

rodwhaincamo

First of all I live in an apt where it's a straight shot from the master to the front door with the neighbors being mirrored and therefor directly down stream.
I'm considering loading Speer shotshells with #1 buck in my 44 Mag. I don't own a shotgun, and having one is a bit lower on my long list.
I'm thinking this is a much better alternative to the Glaser Safety Slugs in my revolver at the moment.
If/when I get a reloading setup (crossing my fingers for Xmas) or can actually find some ammo (at present all I have are a few full load Mags) I fully intend to load 3 or 4 of my 5 chambers with some Spl equivalent cartridges.
I keep hearing the advice of using a shotgun for HD, but am told to bypass using shotshells in my revolver. Do any of you feel they would be nearly useless as well?
I'm not certain as to how differently they'd perform in comparison. I'm guessing that they'd be about like a 410 with larger shot.
Any thoughts or advice?

azredhawk44

but am told to bypass using shotshells in my revolver. Do any of you feel they would be nearly useless as well?

No one loads 2-legged defensive oriented .44 caliber shotshells for revolvers, that's why.

If you want something reasonably effective, you'll have to handload it yourself. Or go with a lightweight hollowpoint and be happy. Or go with a heavier bullet that might over-penetrate.

I think that a two-roundball shotshell consisting of two .433 balls (about 100-115 grains) out of a .44 magnum case, driving each ball to 1000fps, would stop after a wall or two. While still being reasonably effective on two-legged threats.

But... you're better off with a quality lightweight hollowpoint cartridge.

rodwhaincamo

I'd definately handload them. I'm thinking along the lines of #1 buck. Not certain how many pellets I could stuff in it. IIRC #1 buck is .24 cal and so probably wouldn't have too much mass that a few walls wouldn't slow it down enough to keep from killing a neighbor. I'd follow them up with XTP's loaded to Spl levels in case he/they weren't deterred.

jimmyjohnsonjr

multi ball ammo was a good idea

they use to make 2 & 3 buck rounds for 38 - 357 I have tried them , they worked great at short range but didnt catch on , even the bird shot plastic CC have a use besides snakes , if you can hand load your own multi-shot ammo , the legal boys say if you ever shoot a 2 leg critter with home made ammo your in trouble , Mas Ayoob is a pretty smart guy so I read what he writes .years back I wasnt fond of him but later I took the time to read what he said & he came across as a decent guy who will stand behind a rightfull shooter ! Remington & others made some good multi-ball ammo I wish they still made it , up close & personal it gives you a better chance of a hit ...my 2 cents ................. Jimmy

wyobohunter

Most people feel that it is not a good idea to load a defensive gun with different types of cartridges. The reasoning is that, in a high stress situation, you will not be able to remember what is next. I'd just keep it simple... If you are worried about overpenetraion just load some very light 44 spcl loads.

oneounceload

A typical 12 gauge fires shotshells at 1200 fps or greater, most likely more than your typical plastic 44 shotshell. IMO, you would be better off using 44 Spl LSWC loads. Otherwise, a 12 or 20 with smaller buckshot, like #4, will work very well

rodwhaincamo

I'm not concerned with overpenetration as I am with a miss. A miss equates to going through an high traffic area next door. The odds aren't worth taking.