Shotshell reloading, and empties.

JimDandy

Does one tumble/clean/treat/etc once-fired shotshells?

CAN one do so?

If so, how? I don't think SS Pins is the way to go, so I'm assuming vibratory tumbler? I haven't found my shotshell press yet, but I'm starting to try and save my empty hulls until I do. But I don't want to leave hulls with lead/powder residue laying around to breathe, or have fall over so the dog gets into them or whatever accidental atrocity my imagination can come up with.

mxjunky78

No need to clean them. Load em up and shoot em! Then repeat. :) I store mine in 5gallon buckets with lids to avoid spillage and what not.

snuffy

Forget about it. An exercise in futility, IOW not necessary.

Forget about the lead toxicity as well, there's so little present to as not to be worried about. People have been handling shells for 100 years, nobodies died from lead poisoning.

But then I knew of a fella that picked up used plastic wads, washed them in a bucket, dried them and re-used them. Never could understand why he missed skeet claybirds.

mxjunky78

Snuffy said:

But then I knew of a fella that picked up used plastic wads, washed them in a bucket, dried them and re-used them. Never could understand why he missed skeet claybirds.

Wow! That's one cheap dude!! Lol the wad is the cheapest component! To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

trapper9260

Do not wash them like was stated someone did because some of the hulls are wad and paper base and you will mess them up after and then you have those that is not .But not wash them .Id you worry about any dirt or anything that is in them or got some in them just use a brush to clean them out .But like others have said no need to do what you thinking of doing.

Never crossed mind to do so. (wash 'em) Always careful with my choice of powders that showed little burn of the hulls plastic or burn excessively dirty. Since many hulls these days have brass plated or steal base's. I would suggest not washing. If wanting nice new looking hulls consider buying your hulls and components from this vender. As they do have Hull Sales every now and then throughout the year. Which helps us shooters.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

JimDandy

I wasn't worried about them being new, just about them sitting around for a while as I collect them before finding/buying my shotshell press. Various worst-case fears of the bucket tipping over and the dog getting into them type stuff.

Unless there covered. Sometimes spyders take up new residence. Not often but it does happen. {my empty hulls are kept in the garage} I don't know if powder residue is poisonous or not for a dog. But a pup. A bucket of hulls. He/she probably is in second heaven finding all those new chew toys._:D

FrankenMauser

If your hulls are dirty, wipe the outside down with a damp rag and let them dry. That's about all that's needed.

As for washing....
Two-piece hulls and paper base wads will trap water. The paper will dry ...eventually (it may take many months, even if they're laid out in a spot with good air flow). But, the two-piece hulls can trap water for years.
You won't know there's water in there, until you pull the trigger and get a "ploop-hiss" and shot running out the end of the barrel. :(

You don't have to wash them to run into that problem, though. Just sitting out in the snow or rain for while can ruin a hull for life. You just need a little bit of water in the right place, and that hull will cause a squib when you try to fire it.