Shots Fired! Ruger takes on Heritage... discuss!

reteach

New Ruger?

Over on another forum one of the members noticed that Ruger has copyrighted the name Wrangler. Yes, that name is already in use, but Wrangler jeans and Jeep Wrangler have gotten along fine for a long time.

Has anyone heard of this? It will be fun to guess what they're up to, but even more fun would be hearing from someone who really knows what new thing will be introduced. One of you Firing Line sages please tell us.

10-96

I don't do the SAS games, but I've always wondered why no one has done a modern rendition of the Colt 1877(?) double action cowboy setup. Although the original was famously fragile in it's workings, it does fit the timelines SAS goes by- right? I'd like to see a modern (and modernly reliable) double action themed handgun in .45 Long Colt- or actually in all the commonly used SAS calibers.

CajunBass

At one time Jeep used an upholstery that looked like blue jean material, and had brass "buttons" with Wrangler name. I guess they did that for a couple of years before switching to a generic brass button, but the name remained.

To stay on topic, I got no idea what the Ruger Wrangler might be. :)

reteach

Maybe a lever action saddle ring carbine to go along with the Vaquero for cowboy action shooting?

a modern rendition of the Colt 1877(?) double action cowboy setup

I like those guesses very much. I'd be all over either one of those. However, the rumor is strongly in favor of a single action revolver.

TruthTellers

They're a cheap .22 single action revolver most likely made to compete with Heritage.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

We'll see what price these sell for on Black Friday, the some of the Heritage's are $99 and I don't see Ruger competing with that price wise. Maybe the lowest would be 120-125, but that's paying a bit more for a Ruger and what comes along with that, i.e customer service.

I have my 9 shot Heritage .22/.22Mag combo with adjustable sights and got it for the same price as these new 6 shot Wranglers will sell for.

I'm not impressed, but it's nice to see another option besides just Heritage. Competition is good.

aarondhgraham

Wow, I just looked at that web page,,,

Wow, I just looked at that web page,,,
That is one ugly looking revolver!

Is it just me or does the barrel look to be somewhat fat?

Aarond

stinkeypete

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.htmlhttp://

It looks to me like they rebuilt an old Single Six .22 LR with a new aluminum frame alloy. I love the old style rubber ruger grips.

MSRP $249. 30 oz.. or about 6 oz lighter than the steel frame.

I don't care for the Heritage's goofy looking safety, but the price is sure right. It made them tempting for knocking about.

For just a little more, I'll soon be able to get a Ruger Wrangler. Except I just got back from the toy store. Except so much want!

Marketing has decided it's for beginners. I think it's for pistoleros that want something less costly than a single-10 for a field gun.

Discuss!

LeverGunFan

I thought all Single Sixes had alloy frames.
Technically, steel is an alloy... but I presume you are referring to aluminum alloy. The original Single Six was available with both a steel frame and a special lightweight model with aluminum frame and cylinder. The New Model Single Six introduced in 1973 is only available with a steel frame - unless I've missed a special variation.

223 shooter

I thought all Single Sixes had alloy frames.

Only the grip frames are aluminum on the blued Single Sixes with the exception of the Bisley. The stainless versions have all steel grip frames. The "main frame" surrounding the cylinder is steel on all current versions.

Apple a Day

I want one. I had a Heritage for years, put three gazillion rounds through it, started a number of new shooters on it. I replaced it with a bearcat because it's higher quality. I think the Wrangler will be a good balance of cost and quality plus a ton of fun. I'm definitely going to get one within the next year

Targa

Very nice but I would really like to see a lower priced DA .22lr revolver option maybe based off a SP101 or GP100.

CajunBass

The Wrangler reminds me a lot of the 50th anniversary Single-Six. Same basic gun, but the 50th has a steel frame, and is a lot better finished.

I can assure you, these cost a lot more than $250.00, even way back in the day when it was new.

stinkeypete

Calm down, Wild Cat!

Heritage now has some competition in their market niche. Without doubt, Heritage created that space and good for them.

What I do not expect to see anytime soon is a Ruger Wrangler with adjustable target sights. That would only cannibalize sales from the steel (yea, steel is not pure iron, it’s an alloy) frame single six family. These are frankly too expensive right now.

I want to dress one up to look as much like my bearcat as I can!