Shotgun wad substitutions

FITASC

From that thread:

The WAA12R, commonly called the Winchester red wad, was designed for 1-1/8 ounce loads in the Winchester paper case. It is generally too short for 1-1/8 ounce loads in the typical plastic case and is used mostly for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 ounce field loads in plastic cases.

If you are looking to buy wads for 1-1/8, I would look at ClayBuster or Downrange for a clone of the expensive Winchester

bobn

windjammers are the same cup height as the win clones. however they seal better in both the current win AA and the good ole rem club shells. just saying.

cdoc42

"The WAA12R, commonly called the Winchester red wad, was designed for 1-1/8 ounce loads in the Winchester paper case. It is generally too short for 1-1/8 ounce loads in the typical plastic case and is used mostly for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 ounce field loads in plastic cases."

FITASC, I think you explained my accidental success which occurred many years ago when I had a bag of "red" wads and loaded them up in a plastic AA shell with 1.25oz of #4 for Turkey and bagged one. I still have the load in inventory, and I still have the wads but now I can feel more legitimate with their use!!

For 1-1/8 I've been using CB-1118-12 with more knowledgeable comfort, but I came across a Hogdon site that listed substitution wads which triggered my question.

cdoc42

bobn, I'll look at those windjammers as I do have some Rem club shells. One of these days I have to learn how to discard what I don't need and stick with the majority of what I have to stop my experimental nature.

FITASC

I have simplified my 12 and 20 reloading by only loading 3/4oz for both - that leaves me the Claybuster wad as my choice. Getting 533 loads form a bag of shot and the ability to kill quail, and clay targets with low recoil like that of the 28 is a nice way to spend the day.

stuckinthe60s

when you've owned a cadillac, driving in a VW will never be a substitute, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself its luxury...
which seems to be the norm these days.

cdoc42

"You can't have too many different wads. Never know when one of them will come in handy."

I hunted small game when I had a Shorthair, but not since he died. I use 7.5 and 8 shot for clays, but I'm sitting on 100 pounds of #4, 5, and 6 that remind me of those good old days and I'll never use any of it.