Shotgun stocks

Jeepmark2005

I just posted a threat tittled weighting a stock and discovered another option for reducing recoil called the Knoxx stock. While looking up information on this stock I found this post. Kinda says alot.

PreachermanFebruary 27th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I purchased one of these stocks (see here (http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/SpecOpsStock.html) for details) and installed it on a Remington 870 Wingmaster with 20" IC smoothbore barrel (with rifle sights). I wanted to try it for two main reasons:

1. Having had two years of back surgery for an on-the-job injury, I've been left partially disabled, and heavy recoil is Not A Good Thing as far as my back is concerned;

2. I teach disabled and handicapped shooters, and many of them in wheelchairs or dependent on walking aids can't handle the recoil of a "normal" shotgun, even with low-recoil loads. I've tried using a standard Knoxx Compstock (http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/Compstock.htm) for them, but the LOP is just too long, particularly for wheelchair users. I wanted to see whether the adjustable length and recoil absorbtion of the SpecOps stock helped them.

Something like 200 rounds have gone downrange with the SpecOps stock so far, fired by myself and three disabled shooters (two in wheelchairs) who helped with the testing. As the SpecOps is primarily oriented towards defensive shooting, we used buckshot and slugs, both full-power and reduced-recoil, for our tests. (I see no reason why it shouldn't work perfectly well for trap, skeet, hunting, etc. - although a pistol-grip stock might look a bit odd on a sporting gun! :D - and will try this out further down the road.)

Subjectively, I'd say that this stock takes at least 50% off the recoil. In my hands, full-power 12ga. slugs (Rottweil Brenneke, Remington Slugger) feel even softer in recoil than a a low-base #8 birdshot round. I'd rate the felt recoil as equivalent to a 7.62x39mm. round fired from a Yugo SKS - entirely manageable, and nothing unpleasant. I suspect that a 3" magnum load would feel a bit like a reduced-recoil slug or buckshot load, but I haven't yet bothered with magnum rounds.

My disabled friends particularly appreciated being able to set the length of the stock to suit themselves. Both guys in wheelchairs set it to one notch out from the shortest position, giving a LOP of approximately 11¾", and found that this was very manageable from their seated position. The other shooter, using a walker, found a mid-length position most comfortable, as did I - LOP about 12½". We all found that the thin hard rubber butt pad was not the world's most comfortable, but given that the recoil was much reduced, this wasn't a major problem. I plan on replacing it with either a Kick-Eez or Limbsaver pad for even better recoil reduction.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this stock. It's certainly going to stay on my HD-oriented shotgun, and I'll probably buy one of the CopStock wire-framed folding stocks as well, just to play with it and compare them. (Given that they both use the same recoil reduction mechanism, I expect the "feel" of the recoil to be similar: but the wire-frame stock doesn't have the same solid pad as the SpecOps, so I might have to rig up something to spread the recoil a bit.)

Recommended.

Jeepmark2005 - I think I am going to have to get one of these.

revinkevin

the owner i think it is or a manager over at Knoxx is actually on this forum. do a search on KNOXX. and u will find CA Crusin, but ya many posts on the knoxx stock i have heard NOTHING but good reviews, i plan to put one on my winchester 1300 in the near future. cheak out some of the videos on the website www.knoxx.com and see for yourself.

Jeepmark2005

It's been ordered. Tacticool. I got the Specops model with the modular pack that includes a shell holder and a cheek rest. Larry at Knoxx Stock told me to expect a one week back order before shipping. I am eager to try that thing out.

I am selling the stock I just built on ebay to recover the money I spent on the Knoxx stock. My seller name is jeepmark2005 .

If you want a less expensive option to the Knoxx stock check out my listing.

I am not big into shotguns, in part due to the recoil, but I didn't have a problem with putting 85 rounds down range inside of an hour and that was with the pad REMOVED from the stock. None of the loads were reduced recoil, but most were birdshot, about 15 or 20 were Brenneke slugs. The rest were buck or Zanoletti double impact.

I purchased mine, in large part, because of how much it would shrink the overall lenght of the gun compared to a regular stock. I shoot with it full collapsed.