shotgun slug hunting

john1911

Sabot slugs in a rifled barrel and rifled slugs in a smooth bore. Clear as mud...eh?

Most boxes will recommend what barrel is best. General rule of thumb, if it's less then $5.00/box of 5, it's for smooth bores. If it's greater than $10.00/box of 5, it's for a rifled barrel.;)

thallub

If you fire a couple of boxes of lead Foster slugs in a rifled barrel you just might have a heck of a time getting the lead out of the bore. Learned that the hard way.

12-34hom

I have an old Stevens 12 guage smoothbore - Federal Truball were the absolute best.

These were shot at fifty yards.

12-34hom

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 70

Pahoo

john1911 + 1

If you have Sasbot slug, it's a waste of good money to shoot them out of a smooth bore, but they will shoot. Don't sell a smooth bore short. They are very effective and acurate to a point. I mostly shoot smooth bore and have soem sabots that I'd rather sell than shoot. Be safe !!!

rantingredneck

My own take on it is that if I need the extra range a rifled barrel will give me I'll use a .30 cal barrel :). But I understand for folks who live in areas where rifles aren't allowed that a rifled shotgun gives them a definite advantage.

Mostly where I hunt I have a choice of big fields or thick woods. Where I'll be determines what I'll take, either the Rem 700 or the Rem 870 (smoothbore) with Brenneke KO's.