Shotgun-Rifle Recoil Translation

azsixshooter

I haven't been lucky enough to shoot many high-powered rifles, but I've got a lot of pump time on my 12-Gauges. I was wondering if any of you guys could estimate what rifle would produce recoil about equal to a 3" Magnum slug fired out of a 12-Gauge shotgun with a stock recoil pad. If the details matter enough I shoot a Remington 870 with a 21" barrel and a modified choke. I think the last slugs I shot were Winchester Super-X.

Reason I ask is that I'm perfectly comfortable with the 3" Mag slug recoil out of my 870 and was curious if a 30-06 would kick more or less. Other than that, I'm just interested in a good estimate of what rifle round would produce comparable recoil. Thanks for you input!

Given that recoil and perceived recoil are going to be significantly influenced by the size (esp. barrel length), weight, buttstock area (stock to shoulder contact area), buttstock pad, loading, etc., it is hard to make a comparison between you 12 ga platform and loading against a caliber (30.06) without knowing the platform or loading. However, it has been my experience that the 30.06 has less perceived recoil than shooting 3" mag loads out of my 870.

davlandrum

I would rather spend a day at the range shooting my -06 than 1 hour sighting in slugs out of a pump gun. And I only shoot 2 3/4 slugs. 3" slugs??? No thanks.

Even foot/lb tables won't give you the full story, since everyone percieves recoil in different ways.

WIN71

06 will kick less i believe
I think so too. I have almost a direct comparison. It is a CZ 12ga./30-06. There is no recoil pad. I have fired 150 gr. 30-06 and 2 3/4" magnum 000 buck one after the other. In winter off the quad and dressed appropriately neither is too bad. With a "T" shirt on they're about the same. Neither is pleasant. I have shot the same shotgun ammo out of a short barreled 870 and it seemed worse to me.