Been shootin 12 ga shotgun for yrs
Myquestion plus to answer a argument, whats t andhe differant between
A 2 3/4 shell and a 3 1/4 shell.
I use mine 2 3/4 for small game n clays
He uses his for big game

He says his shell size is better I disagree

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The marked length denotes the chamber length for a fired shell... This means a 3 inch unfired shell can be placed in a 2 3/4 inch gun but should never be fired...

The length difference allows for more shot payload and/or powder...
I have a gun with 3 inch chamber and I think I have fired 5 shells of the 3 inch variety... I always just use the 2 3/4 shells for the last 20 plus years just never needed the bigger shells for anything...

Brent

MattShlock

Perhaps you mean 3" and 3-1/2" vs. 2-3/4". They hold more shot and usually more powder. Better? Just different. As in "more" (energy in the payload).

CajunBass

Better for what? For shooting clays or small game? A waste of money.

For deer hunting I like 3" magnum buckshot loads. But I wouldn't use them to shoot a rabbit.

That's one of the nice things about shotguns. Simply by changing shells (and shot size) you can hunt doves or deer.

PetahW

Yep, the longer shells simply deliver a heavier payload (shot), usually at a little higher velocity, and MUCH more recoil. :rolleyes:

Soooooo, if he thinks them "better", then maybe he's just one of those guys that think everything he's got is better. ;) . :p

BigD_in_FL

clarification

I think the OP might be talking about ammo that is 2-3/4 dram equivalent versus 3-1/4 dram equivalent as there is no 3-1/4"shell

IF that is the situation, the answer is the 3-1/4 is running about 1250-1300 fps versus about 1145-1200 fps

Last edited:

BigJimP

Question is.....

a. does he mean Dram Equivalent ( usually marked on the box as DR EQ )

b. or does he mean the unfired length (that he might have measured )...

c. or does he mean the fired length of a shell corresponding to the chamber size on the barrel...
-------------
But what is better for clays and small game ...vs Big Game ....is a pretty bid difference....( I don't think anyone is shooting slugs at clay targets ) ???

Last edited: