Shotgun newbie, help me pick one

mkiker2089

I've never owned a shotgun and I probably won't use one very often. It wouldn't be for self defense but mostly to have as a collection of sorts and partly to play with at the range.

First I've been debating .410 versus 12g. I know 12g has a lot more power but when it comes to shooting holes in paper or perhaps fruit, I'm not too concerned. I do see that 12g ammo is generally cheaper. Is there a reason to go with 410? I'm assuming it would have less recoil but I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be.

Second, I think a standard stock is probably best. I've seen the pistol grip models and some say they are easier to shoot because the way they can be held. I'm not sure if I buy that.

So far I've been looking at the Remington pump model. What are the top names in shotguns right now? I'd want a good one but nothing with an exotic price tag.

FITASC

Major difference between a 12 and a 410 and if you do not reload, 410s can get expensive if you shoot more than a few boxes.

A nice 20 will also have reasonably priced ammo like the 12 and might be worth considering.

You want a regular stock, not a pistol one

You'll need to define what an exotic price is to you. For some it is $200, for others it might be $20,000.

ripnbst

I would echo the 20 ha comment. 12 ga will likely be the cheapest just because it's the most popular. Economies of scale and all that. Remington 870, Benelli Nova, Weatherby PA-08, Winchester SXP, CZ 712 <(My recommendation)

I'd say handle as many as you can get your mitts on, shoulder them. Buy what feels the most natural from a reputable mfg.

SARuger

Get a 20g. I use mine for squirrel to deer to clays to home defense, very versatile.

I own several though.

Pardner single shot w/thread in chokes=my woods gun, squirrel/rabbit/deer(buckshot). I like to carry it because its so light
Remington 870 Slug Gun=Deer
Remington 870 28"=bird gun(dove/grouse/quail)
Remington 870 30"=trap gun
Remington 11-87 28"=general use/buckshot
Remington 1100=clays gun
Mossburg 500=truck gun
Maverick 88=home defense

All 20 gauge!

Blindstitch

Get a 12 or 20 gauge in whichever configuration suits you best. The most common battle is Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500 as common everyone loves pump guns.

Fondle as many guns as you can. In the end you're the one who has to live with it.

mkiker2089

I never really considered a 20 gauge. I've got a feeling that I wouldn't be happy with a 12 and with 410 being the trend now thanks to the Taurus Judge I thought ammo would be easy to find.

I could go with a 20 gauge. I'm not sure if I want it to be semi-auto, pump action, or even single shot. Single shot seems like a novelty but I imagine the fun would wear off pretty soon.

Price range would ideally be 300 but that depends on what you can get. I've learned not to cheap out because often cheap is worse than nothing at all.

ammo.crafter

20ga

As the others have recommended, 20ga is the way to go.

One way to try on a shotgun in a store is to close your eyes, shoulder the gun holding it as you would if shooting it; open your eyes and notice what your sight picture is.

You should see no barrel and only the front bead.

That's a somewhat indication of a decent shotgun fit for you.

PS I like a Remington 1100

kozak6

If you are of very small build, have a medical condition that precludes recoil, if you need to preserve the hide or meat of small game, or if you wish to challenge yourself, the .410 is a good choice. Otherwise, the small payload makes it hard to hit.

A 2-1/2" .410 birdshot shell contains 1/2 oz of shot, while a typical 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell carries a payload of 1-1/8 oz. That's about 56% of the payload of the 12 gauge at about the same velocity. The heaviest 3" .410 specialty load contains 3/4 oz. A typical 3" 20 gauge load will contain 1 oz of birdshot.

They all tend to spread about the same. The difference is that the smaller gauges have thinner patterns due to smaller payloads.

12 gauge recoil reaches towards the upper ends of comfort, and can be difficult if you have poor form or an ill fitting gun. 20 gauge would also be a fine choice.

There's nothing wrong with a single shot. It's simpler to operate, cost effective, conserves ammo, is easier to clean, lighter in weight, and the single shots make it easier to focus on shooting. The light weight can make recoil very uncomfortable, though. A pump action doesn't cost much more, however.

What do you really want to do with your shotgun? Are you going to do any trap or skeet shooting, do any hunting, or really just do some range blasting?

FITASC

Standard 20 gauge load is 7/8, not 1 ounce and light target loads abound.

However, $300 does not leave you much room, even if you throw used guns into the mix; at least not from a quality standpoint which you stated was important.

g.willikers

To add to the confusion, there's 12 gauge ammo that duplicates 20 gauge loads.
With 12 gauge guns generally a little heavier than 20s, they can actually recoil less, especially with the lighter loads.
If you don't have experience with hunting rifles, shotguns other than the .410, or maybe the 28 gauge, may prove to be less entertaining than you imagine.
And those will probably exceed your price expectations, too.
You might want to try one first before buying.

Tommyb78

Just my opinion,I have a rem870 and love it. Also have a mossberg 835 that is only used for turkey. If you are looking for a gun with almost endless aftermarket the 870 is a great choice. If you just want something to shoot for fun a maverick may suite you nicely. As far as 12ga. Vs 410. I would go with the 12 all day. Easier to find ammo and better price point for all day blastin. Try a bunch. See what fits you and your budget.

mkiker2089

To be fair I'm of those who will research everything and do little. It's a hobby in itself. If I do get a shotgun sooner rather than later it would mostly sit in a gun chest and occasionally be used for target use. The idea of clay shooting does sound fun though so who knows. I might get unlazy one day and just do it. I won't go hunting with it. That's just not in my agenda at all.

Basically what I've gotten from this is that there aren't really wrong answers, just some that are better than others. My gut is telling me to skip the 12 and get a 20g. A 410 could be fun due to the crazy rounds made because of the revolver fad but I'll pass on it for now. If the prices come down then it could be back in the running.

FITASC

If all you are talking ab out is some backyard clays once in a while, find a nice 20 pump from the likes of Remington, Browning, even Mossberg and have at it.

Serious clay shooting becomes very addictive to some of us and thus the 12 reigns supreme and serious O/U clay guns begin around $3K and go WAY up from there to the $100K mark for some nice ones......... so be warned!....:p

WV_gunner

I say go for a 12 gauge. There's always reduced loads. If cheap target loads have too much recoil then maybe you should get stuff meant for black powder guns. You can still get paper 2 and 2 1/2 shells.
If you want to go cheap, get a cheap break action single shot. Used, you're looking at $40-$100. Iver Johnson and H&R/NEF are pretty common ones. But you can get a cheap repeater used for $100 and up.

FITASC

If you want to go cheap, get a cheap break action single shot. Used, you're looking at $40-$100. Iver Johnson and H&R/NEF are pretty common ones. But you can get a cheap repeater used for $100 and up.

And those cheap POS beat everyone up, fit noone properly and break regularly.........much better options - get a used Maverick if money is THAT tight

Blindstitch

Yeah don't go with a single shot. I think a cheap light Rossi costs $120-130 and kicks like a mule. H&R goes for $179. I think a Maverick 88 pump goes for a hair under $200 and will be a lot more modifiable and forgiving to the shoulder.

Oh by the way I have a Rossi single shot 410 and I think it weighs 3-4 pounds. When I shoot it my shoulder hurts. I think it hits harder than a 12 gauge that weighs 8 pounds.

I have always like the Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. Shot one as a kid and somehow took out many geese. Upgraded to a 12 gauge and the hit rate got better. Then last year I picked up another 20 gauge mossberg 500 and this one is a youth combo with adapters to upsize the stock to grow into. And it came with a field/slug barrel combo for $220. It is fun to shoot.

WV_gunner

It's amazing what you'll read on the internet, absolutely amazing.
Firstly, what's wrong with Iver Johnson's and H&R/NEF single shots? Stevens/Savage has some nice ones too, so did Winchester.
Secondly when I was referring to a used $100+ repeater, I was talking mostly about the Maverick 88/Mossberg 500. Other cheap brands fall in that price too, like Westernfield.
Thirdly, in what world is a Maverick 88 better made than a mid quality single shot? I have a 500 Slugster, kind of toward the top of the Mossberg food chain and it's safe to say the quality is as nice as a comparable single shot.
Fourthly, it's the internet. Believe and ignore what you want. But don't be afraid of a single shot. They are, in my mind the best. They are lighter and shorter than other actions. Reloads are quick still, not as quick as racking a pump but with an ejector it's easy to reload fast. It's also the gun for someone who appreciates the simple things in life. No need to have any kind of repeater, a single is much easier to handle too. Sure some say they kick harder, I say not by much. I have fired a couple boxes of 10 gauge 3 1/2s from a single, after a few maybe 10 rounds you're going to be a little sore but they aren't the cannons everyone pretends they are.
Fifth, fit of a gun has more to do with the person and the gun. So you don't like singles so you say they don't work for anyone? My advice for everyone is to hold every gun you can afford. You might hate all of them or maybe enjoy one over the rest. I know a few people that when it comes to hunting with a shotgun they want a single. But there's plenty of pump and semi auto guys out there too. Everyone has their favorite. Maybe the OP would like a Marlin 55?

FITASC

Firstly, what's wrong with Iver Johnson's and H&R/NEF single shots?

They suck? Don't fit anyone properly?, Their quality is suspect at best, especially after the Remington acquisition? I dunno, but those come to mind

and BTW, I own one of them............;)

BigJimP

For an entry level gun ...a good pump gun is probably your best option. $ 250 - $ 600 or so will buy some decent pump guns. On the higher end of that price range is the Browning BPS...and a model like the "Hunter" in either 12ga or 20ga is a solid gun that will live for many generations. Remington 870's and the Mossberg pump guns can be bought all over ...and they're less money..and in my view, less quality than the BPS.

12ga or 20ga isn't just about the price of ammo ...if you look at the BPS in a 28" barrel in 12ga its around 7.75 lbs ...where the 20ga with a 28" barrel is right around 7 lbs.../ and a lighter gun will give you more recoil for a given shell ( like 7/8 oz at 1200 fps ). Personally, I like the weight and feel of the 12ga BPS over the 20ga...

Go to a store - check how the actions feel --- which are smooth, which are not...try and figure out what suits you in terms of "fit" ...because the gun needs to hit where you look - your eye is the rear sight. Minor stock changes can be made / or pads put on combs to raise them ...but get a feel for weight, overall length, length of pull, etc..as you make your choice.
-------------
In general --- as you go up in price --- most decent semi-autos will be in the $ 800 - $ 1,250 price range ---- Browning makes a Silver Hunter model that you might look at .../ just so you know what's out there - I know its out of your budget.
-----------
There is a lot of junk out there in terms of very cheap Over Unders ...but Browning and Beretta, by far, will give you the most gun for your money in the Over Under market - and a gun that will last a long time. But to get into that market its ab out $ 1,800 - $ 2,250 ..even for entry level Browning or Beretta O/U's....
-------------------
If you figure this out in terms of new guns ...shop the used market a little - especially if there is a shop in your area you know you can trust. There are a lot of good used shotguns out there...if they are checked properly / but you have to know what you're looking at !

Chamber length is an issue ... most "field" guns will come with a 3" chamber and it will fire 2 3/4" or 3" shells.../ 3 1/2" chamber guns are primarily for waterfowl and you'll pay a premium for them over a 3" gun / a lot of higher end target grade guns come with 2 3/4" chambers...( length of a shell, is the fired length -- so it has room to open up in the chamber and barrel )...
-------------
Best pump guns in my view...Remington 870 Wingmaster or Browning BPS...Wingmaster is the top of the line Remington ( Express is the bottom of the line Remington )...and prices vary accordingly.

Have fun with the process..