Shotgun laws in Canada?

speakerguy79

I am in Texas and a friend moved here last year from Canada. He's about to have a kid and I've been teasing him about getting a generator and a shotgun for hurricane season.

If I gift him a shotgun, I'd like to make sure it's Canadia legal (Alberta specifically) in case the company ships him back. Are there any Canadians that can advise on what would make a good gift firearm (in terms of action, capacity, OAL restrictions, etc) that's legal north of the 49th? Thanks.

Virginian

I know any sporting field type shotgun is okay. Semi auto, pump, or two barreled gun. I lived there for 3 years and have been back hunting to Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Don't know about the tactical zombie slayers because I never had any interest. Canada is fairly loose on rifles and shotguns, but death on handguns.

Gunplummer

I don't know if the law changed, but it was a lot less than 18" years ago. I was fishing up there once and one of the locals was showing me an old H&R "Coach gun" (Factory sawed off) that he owned. When it comes to gun laws, it is usually best to use the source of the law for reference.

SDC

A barrel under 18" is OK as long as it's a FACTORY barrel, and the OAL of the shotgun remains over 26" (660mm); if you take a buttstock off a perfectly-legal shotgun, and the oAL drops below 26", you've magically created a "handgun". Semi-autos can't have a mag capacity greater than 5 shells of the length for which it's chambered (if you have a semi chambered for 12 x 3 1/2, it doesn't matter how many shorter shells will fit in the tube, as long as it won't accept more than five 3 1/2" shells).

Dave Anderson

If I understand the original post correctly, you are talking about your friend acquiring a shotgun in Texas, and at some later date possibly exporting it to Canada.

The issue is not so much whether a specific shotgun can be legally owned in Canada. The problem will be in permanently exporting it from the U.S. The process is both time-consuming and expensive.

Major U.S. gunmakers can afford it since they get the paperwork done for a large shipment at a time, so cost per firearm is not too bad. For individuals exporting one or two firearms it becomes very expensive.

There are a few Canadian dealers who will arrange importation for individuals but the cost is around $250 per firearm, most of which is incurred by the U.S. exporter in getting approval. This doesn't include shipping costs.

For an individual in Canada, importing a firearm from the U.S. only makes sense if it is valuable, e.g. a custom made or collectible model, or if there's sentimental value.

If your friend moves to Canada he will need a PAL (possesion & acquisition license) to own a firearm in any case. Getting the license involves taking a firearm training/safety course, passing practical and written exams, plus a criminal background check.

Since he has to have the PAL anyway, it would be far simpler and cheaper just to buy a shotgun in Canada. As others have mentioned the key legal factors are overall length be at least 660mm, about 26 inches; and centerfire semiauto long guns are generally limited to five-round magazine capacity.

There's no minimum barrel length for rifles or shotguns provided overall length is at least 660mm and it is a factory original barrel. For example Cabelas in Canada sells Benelli pumps with 14" barrels. Other dealers show for sale an Italian-made Valtro pump with 13.5" barrel and detachable 7-round magazine, or a Norinco-made clone of the Remington 870 with 14" barrel (priced at the equivalent of $240 U.S., incidentally.)

Buying in the U.S. and then trying to export is really doing it the hard way.