Shotgun for youth

kst8fan

Looking to buy a shotgun (410) for my daughter. Nothing too expensive. Maybe a Western field 410, mossberg 183. What other models in this price range? Nothing over $300 Thanks.

FITASC

What's the intended use and age of your girl? 410s are usually very difficult to hit anything with due to a light payload.

smee78

Until we get some more info, I will share that I went with youth Remington 20GA shotguns for my sons. They were able to swing the shorter barrel and the stock was a good fit for them.

Creek Henry

Charles Daly makes a coupla youth 28s. I don't know if they are decent but I would forgo the 410.

My son's first shotgunning was done with a HR single 20 with a 410 insert. It was a pain to reload and its effective range was about 15 yards but it was more about gun saftey then.

Creek Henry

Oh and to add to the discussion...

Fiocci and Win make low recoil 20 ga loads. The Fiocci trainer load is very mild. It replicates a 28 ga load. If you get a pump or double, you can work up some even milder loads if needed. A barely supersonic 5/8 oz load will barely recoil if that is her issue with bigger guns.

kst8fan

My Daughter is15 but very small. Mostly wanting for small game hunting and target shooting. She has a .22 and she wants a shotgun now. She can't hold my 20 Ga very well so wanted to go the .410 route. Youth model 410 would work great preferably bolt action.

Gdawgs

In that case, I would go with a youth 20 ga. I started our son on a 410. but we transitioned over to a 20ga this year. He is a runt. He is only about 4.5' tall and weighs about 65 pounds. He can handle a youth sized 20 ga just fine.

There is a big difference between a full sized 20 and a youth sized. I would take here to a gun store and let her try on some of the youth models. As someone already mentioned, the Remington 870 youth would be a good choice, as well as they Mossberg 500 youths. There are other good ones as well, but may take you over your budget. A youth 410 and 20ga will weight about the same in the same model, so you really don't lose much weight by going to the 410.

I'm a big proponent of starting small kids out on 410s(many people are not). But in this case, I'd really look at the 20s. Many people will tell you that a 20 has as much recoil as a 12. I don't buy into that. Especially when the gun fits you well.

FITASC

Split the difference and go with a 28 is another option.
SHE needs to try as many as she can. Might try to find a trap/skeet club that has a youth program and see if she can try several different ones.
Sorry, but 410 bolt guns are not the best.

T. O'Heir

"...She can't hold my 20 Ga..." Too big. A .410 is an expert's gun. Very much doubt you'll find a bolt action .410 any more.
I believe H&R is still making a single shot. LOP is 12.5".

kst8fan

Ok thanks for the info. I have seen a few on gunbroker. I will definately keep looking. In sure something will come up.

Sappyg

Yesterday I watched two young boys shooting their brand new Yildiz K36 (410) for the first time. They weren't very successful.
You might let her try a Remington youth 870 express in 20 gage to see how it fits. Plus, Remington has a $25 mail in rebate on until the end of December which should make it about $265 before tax. Shells are much cheaper than 410 to boot.

FITASC

Not sure I follow you FITASC. Just wanting a shotgun for my daughter

Why I said this earlier:

SHE needs to try as many as she can. Might try to find a trap/skeet club that has a youth program and see if she can try several different ones.
Sorry, but 410 bolt guns are not the best.

Creek Henry

I shouldered a Mossy 510 recently. Wow. It was way too small and light. A bigger gun would def be more fun to shoot.

But whatever you get, put a Limbsaver on it. Those really really help make any gun more shootable.

1G2many

H & R 20 ga. break-open single-shot Pardner model with managed recoil ammo. If this can't work then they're too young. If its available in 28 ga that would be good maybe. The 20 will build confidence. 410's are for experts, not kids.

MarkCO

^ Yep

Low recoil 20g and one that fits. And if she likes it at all, the 20 can last her for several years, a .410 is kind of a non-starter.

My 13 year old is shooting 12, and it was a bit much for my 11 year old. He shot some mid-range #6s this past weekend and really enjoyed himself. There are several good 20s for youth. Now that there are some decent loads for 20 that are lo recoil and pattern well, the 20 does, in some cases, make sense.

TimSr

I will share that I went with youth Remington 20GA shotguns for my sons. They were able to swing the shorter barrel and the stock was a good fit for them.

I started my son with the Rem 870 youth 20 guage at age 11, and it was the perfect fit. I am not a .410 fan at all for youth hunting. Their chances of success are so much better with the 20 guage, recoil is mild, and you can buy shells anywhere. 28 guage is hard to find shells anywhere, and a day of practice clays will put you in the poorhouse.