shotgun choice

siloshooter

been looking at the mossberg 930 spx auto's . anyone own or have shot one ?
they are for sale in my area ,very good to excellent condition in the $600-$650 range .
already own a good 870 pump . just want the lessened recoil that the auto can provide. not a have to deal as the 870 serves me well.
rock island/armscor has had great reviews on the pump 12 gauge home protector they market . i see also they make an auto in home defense type weapon . it doesnt have the extended tube or i would take a closer look at it . i am supposing it is less $ than the mossberg. any word as to the reliability on the auto ?
any other auto's that i need to consider ? i can simply walk away and pocket some substantial bucks .... for now . trying to gather opinions from the masses . thanks

MarkCO

If you gave me a 930, in any configuration, it would be gone tomorrow.

There are a lot of great and some good shotguns in the market now and several in the budget realm. While purpose and what you might add to it is important in your choice, so too is knowing the glitches and fixes of each.

Define budget, purpose and use and that will get you better answers.

9x45

You already have the best (pump) HD shotgun. Don't short stroke it. If you want something for 3 Gun, that's a different question.

siloshooter

ok ......

am sticking with what i have , for now . the mossy 930 spx still has appeal for me . simply dont care for the ar style shotguns .
am keeping my options open and will see what comes down the road . NO i am not hurting for plenty of good choices for defense already in my arsenal .

but as we all know we all by guns on whims and what we deem desirable for ourselves ! guess that is the fun of guns as a hobbie.:D i was simply seeking an auto in 12 ga. and wanted to know what the quality of the 930 was.

9x45

I have my original 870 that I got back in 1968. Used it for hunting for decades. However for the last 15 years or so, I have been running Benelli M1 Super 90's for 3 gun. Lots of guys used Remington 1100/1187s, and today you have the FN SLP, the Remington VersaMax, Mossberg 930 and the Stoeger M3K.

lefteye

I'm not sure I want or need another 870 -- I've got five! (synthetic stock home defense, synthetic stock rifled deer with cantilever scope mount, synthetic stock camo hunting, and walnut stocked 12 ga. and 20 ga.) :rolleyes: ;) :cool: :D They are very good and very reliable shotguns. :)

Last edited:

9x45

Yup, the same thing you need for competition and home defense is for it to bang each time, reliability first and only.