Shotgun advice needed

Laker

I know very little about shotguns, I'm a revolver guy. I would like to get a side by side as a home defence gun. I don't hunt so a short barrel would be preferred. I would like a reliable but inexpensive gun. Any suggestions as to what to look for? Thanks

Death from Afar

Most people will recomend a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. BOth a are relatively inexpensive, versatile, relaible guns. You should certainly buy a case of ammo and have a decent blast with the weapon you choose before you do much else, just so you get used to them. Hope this helps.

Laker

Thanks, I've looked at both of those and the Benelli Nova series. I like simple which is why I am looking for a side by side double barrel.

Death from Afar

I am not sure that two shots will always be enough, hence the recommendation above. And you are right, there is a lot to be said for simplicity!

cdnbacon

side by side advice

I too am a revolver guy, and am a fan of the Mossberg 500s and 590s for defense. That being said, I will try to offer some advice for Side by sides. I have used and owned the Brazilian Stoeger coachgun and the Russian Baikal, now marketed by Remington as the Spartan. Both are solid, well made and reliable, if the smoothest to operate. The actions are a little stiff as they come out of the box. Fit and finish is good, but not stellar. I like both of these guns and they would serve you well. I like the variants that have two triggers rather than the ones that have single triggers. That allows you to quickly choose which barrel you want to fire in case you have different loads, IE bird shot, buckshot or slug etc. The short coachguns are fairly light and very handy. The 20 inch barrel coachguns will feel lighter and handier than an 18 inch pump shotgun; they are a little shorter too, because there is virtually no length added for a receiver like there is on the pumpgun. The coachgun will recoil a little harder than the pump and you may want to add a recoil pad as most come with only a butt plate. The side by side will probably not shoot to the same point of aim with both barrels on the less expensive models, (you will see what I mean when you shoot at close range with buckshot or with slugs at distance). However, they will probably be close enough to do the job, particularly at home defence ranges. There are cheaper side by sides such as the chinese models being imported as, I believe, the model 99. These have exposed hammers. They are cheaper made and finished, but again, probably serviceable. The advantage of exposed hammers is the ability to keep the gun fully loaded if you want, without any spring fatigue. I personally don't like the idea of a loaded hammerless side by side as the springs are under compression and only a tang safety prevents loud noises. The Russian spartan line has an exposed hammer side by side too, as do many shotguns made for cowboy action shooting. Just go to the cowboy forums and read up on them if they tickle you. The hammerless side by side is about the fastest thing out there for firing two shots though and if you are keeping the gun unloaded, or are willing to trust the safety, then they will do the job. Good luck and I hope this helps...

jaguarxk120

During the quiet of the night, nothing else, says leave now, do not pass go, do not collect $200, the racking of a pump shotgun.:D

Laker

I understand the racking in the middle of the night, I've been on the other end of that. The reason for a "coach gun" is being an old blind guy, I want the most basic when fuzzy from sleep, trying to find my glasses to get to one of my .357's.
I live in a small town thats getting worse with every passing day. Used to be a real nice quiet neighborhood. Now I hear gunshoots at 3 AM and find spent 40 and 9 cases in my back yard. Chased three guys out at 4AM the other day trying to get into my cars. Local police showed up fairly quick, but some day they may not.

BigJimP

There are a lot of decent used SXS's and Over/Unders on the market out there - that will work well for what you want. A 26" barrel on a Over Under or SXS is about the same overall length as a pump gun with a
24" barrel. Benelli, Remington, etc make a number of Tactical shotguns.

I understand your point to keep it simple / but a good pump gun is a simple option as well. You might take a look at some of the threads on Rem 870's lately - Scattergun Bob and others made some comments over the weekend on some good ideas about storing a shotgun in "cruiser ready" condition / lots of good info there from guys that know Tactical Fighting Shotguns. I would also make sure you have that .357 revolver nearby as well - because it sounds to me like the neighborhood is pretty rough.

I understand your mentality about protecting your property / and not being a kid myself - and not getting around near as well as I did 40 years ago / I would seriously recommend you stay in the house and not venture outside - use 911 and let the police do their thing. Use this shotgun and your revolver - to protect yourself / but chasing them around outside may not be in your best interest.

Laker

Thanks for your advice Jim. By chasing them away, I just turned on my outside flood lights. Armed or not I agree on 911 and let the pro's handle it.

BigJimP

Good, that makes me feel better ...

The link I think that might help you on a decision is about 10 below this one, "Info on Rem 870 needed" and Scattergun Bob makes some points / you can do an advanced search on his name, and see his comments on a number of threads about Fighting Shotguns and his general philosophy.

I'm not a Tactical Shotgun expert / but I think the Benelli M-2 Tactical or the M-4 are attractive options - but not inexpensive. They also have a pump gun option - the Super Nova.

I differentiate between what I would keep around as a good "Defensive shotgun" and what I would consider a Tactical or a Fighting Shotgun. I think most any reliable shotgun will serve you Defensively ( SXS, O/U or a pump gun ) - but to get into Tactical Issues is a little different.

Last edited:

Laker

Thanks guys, I will continue to look at pumps. I guess my wanting a sxs comes from watching to many cowboy movies. I've always wanted a double barrel side by side.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Laker, If you go with a pump i suggest you wear out yer first one practicing! I appreciate your admitting to being "GUN GREEN" on the shotgun thing.
the double boomer is pretty much idiot proof. The pump needs handled like a pitbull dog. You shuck the action with authority and never worry about hurting it's feelings. you should be able to speed fire with the gun oriented in any position including on its open side and upside down. These techniques are not for HD/SD use. They are simply to impart the skills needed to have a flawless use of said gun. I would like to own a double gun someday but I doubt it will ever replace my Mossberhg 500 20 for initial go to gun.
Let us know what you settle on.
Brent

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Re doubles versus pumps for defense.

Colonel Cooper had a twicepipe shotgun in his bedroom. He preferred a "Lupara" for reasons of simplicity and pointability.

I think we can agree he knew something about personal defense.

While I use pumps, I admit the good Col made a very good case.

Get the one that pleases you, then use it until it feels like a part of your body.

That includes reloading drills.

HTH....