Shot the Mak today!

alamo

I took my new E. German Mak to the range today, hadn't shot it yet.
I just had time for 50 rounds of S&B. It shot great, no problems of any kind. My groups were good (for me anyway) but a little high, don't know if it was the gun or me, probably me. It was a real pleasure to shoot.
I bought some CorBon JHP to test next time to make sure it feeds OK. I will install the #19 Wolff recoil spring too.
I used 3 of the 6 magazines I got (4 from Makarov.com). I have 3 E. German and 3 Russian.
The sights didn't show up too well - has anyone tried the stick-on sight dots (poor man's night sites) available from Makarov.com ?? Maybe a touch of white-out on the front sight would help too.
I am very pleased with the Mak - thanks for all the accessory advice I got last month.

10CFR

I really like my Russian also. I think everyone has the same problem with the sights disappearing on the target. There is a durable sight paint available, I think it's called Brite Site, or something similar. I have a brochure somewhere that I got from one of the local gun shops. It comes in different colors. I'm thinking of ordering a kit of that stuff to put on my Mak sights. They just aren't viable being as small and dark as they are. I think these little pistols are one of the last great bargains out there.

-10CFR

railroader

10CFR, I have a russian mak too. I had Beast enterprises dovetail a new larger front sight on it. It was too tall so I filed it down. Then I opened up the rear sight a tad. Then with a small drill bit I made an indentation on the front sight and two on the rear sight. Next came the white paint for the dots. I now have very visable adjustable three dot sights on my mak. The front sight was $50 plus shipping from Beast installed.

[Edited by railroader on 01-12-2001 at 09:01 AM]

Tom B

Don't be depressed if your EG won't feed JHP. Most will not and were not designed to. Mine won't but in 9x18 I carry ball anyway.