SHOT Show 2012, a brief (almost brief?) review...

JohnKSa

Administrator
I didn't see as many new items as I expected to.

Here are some observations I made, I don't claim to be 100% up-to-date on all the gun-makers offerings, so some of what I saw and list below may be old news.

• Remington now offers 3 different 1911 models.
  • Kahr has a new "enhanced" trigger which offers a 30% shorter pull than their normal triggers. It is currently available only on models with manual safeties.
  • Auto Ordnance brought a prototype gun based on an M1 Carbine updated to accept an AR-Style collapsible stock and standard accessory rails.
  • DSA is offering a couple of interesting drop-in accessories for AR-15s. One is a new gas key that eliminates the need for staking the screws and also completely prevents the screws from loosening via a dovetail that locks the screws in place once installed. The other is a buffer and bolt carrier insert that keeps the bolt carrier centered on the buffer--preventing carrier tilt and offering some other neat features.
  • Walther/Umarex is offering a line of 1911 pistols made in Tisa, Turkey by the same company making Zigana guns.
  • Kel-Tec says their .308 Hunter semi-auto rifle will be ready to ship 2nd quarter of 2012. They had their RMR-30 .22WMR carbine at the show as well as the SU-16CA which is identical to the SU-16 but chambered in .300 Blackout (.300 Whisper).
  • EAA had a VEPR/Molot 12ga semi-auto shotgun with an accessory rail, magazine guide and an ambidextrous safety.
  • Wolf Ammunition is now Wolf Arms and Ammunition. They are importing the full line of VEPR/Molot rifles including rifles chambered in .308, 7.62x54R, .223, 7.62x39 and the SUPER VEPRs.
  • Beretta had a sample of the PX4 with a stainless steel slide.
  • CCI has a new .22LR loading out that provides .22CBLong velocities but in a .22LR form factor. It won't cycle semi-autos, but will properly cycle through tubular magazine bolt rifles or lever rifles. In a rifle the noise level at the shooter's ear is only about 68dB. Pretty quiet.
  • Canik, out of Turkey, has a Walther P99 Clone with a weird/interesting "set trigger". You pull the trigger until the first click and it will stay in that position offering a short, "single action like" pull.
  • Meprolight is now selling thermal night vision sights.
  • Colt had their new/reintroduced Mustang Pocketlite at the show. It's basically the old Mustang single action with an aluminum frame. They say there are currently no plans to reintroduce the Mustang Plus II.
  • Federal replaced the EFMJ with "Guard Dog". It's pretty much exactly the same product but with a different color internal polymer and a different name. No plans to make it available as a reloading component at this time. It will come in two flavors, civilian and LE. The Civilian is a light bullet load and is designed to penetrate about 10" in gelatin. The LE is a heavier bullet load and is designed for about 14" in gelatin.
  • Wild West Guns now has a shop in Las Vegas.
  • RAAC is marketing an AR-15 style shotgun.
  • FNH is now selling their FN S polymer frame striker fired pistol which they believe will make a significant dent in the Glock market. The serial # prefix on the FN S pistols at the show was "GK". Draw your own conclusions. ;)

The trigger pull was very crisp for a striker fired gun. They claimed it was about 5lbs and that's probably not far off--the ones I handled felt lighter than that due to the nice break. Reset was similarly crisp and short.

Takedown is a bit weird. Drop the mag, lock the slide back, pivot the takedown lever, let the slide go forward slowly to the point where it appears to be in battery. Now hold it in that position, pull the trigger and then push the slide forward off the gun. Normal from there.

It has a 1913 rail and the forward edge of the trigger guard has serrations but no "hook". A longslide version with a 5" bbl is in the works.

The slide action preloads the striker to about 80%--FN says 86%--which partially accounts for the nice trigger. Glocks, for example only preload the striker to about 50%-60% which leaves more work for the trigger to do.

Capacity is 17/14 (9mm/40S&W). Mags are steel and drop free. The sights are dovetailed front and back and night sights come standard. All controls are ambidextrous including the small manual safety. There will be a model without the safety available "for LE" but the reps didn't know for sure if that meant ONLY for LE.

It's available in black or matte stainless finish. Retail is supposed to be "similar to a Glock".
  • SIG is selling 3 models of the SIG P210 including a longslide model. Pretty slick.
  • SAR Arms had a line of revolvers that appear to be S&W clones as well as a lineup of CZ-75 clones.
  • Caracal had its new gun on display. It's a polymer frame striker fired gun designed by Wilhelm Bubits.

Ambidextrous mag release, steel drop-free mags that hold 18 in 9mm.

The trigger is "different". It's light, long and doesn't stack much. Some might call it mushy, some might say that it's a constant-weight pull. The break isn't particularly distinct. There's no trigger overtravel after the break. I don't believe it will be a hindrance to accurate shooting but some folks definitely won't prefer it.

Bore axis is lower than in the Glock and the design is set up so that the slide impact to the frame is delivered at a lower point on the frame than in the Glock design.

The gun is set up for a shoulder stock and forward pistol grip--where legal, and there was an accessory kit showing those items and available for demonstration.

There is no integral lock but the gun CAN be locked using a special accessory magazine. The magazine fits in normally and locks the slide in place. With a turn of the key in the bottom the magazine/lock is locked in place. It can't be removed, the slide can't be operated and the gun can't be fired.

Striker preload is similar to the Glock design.

There will be a "stainless" slide model available except that the finish is Chrome-Nitride providing a surface hardness of about 72RC.

There is also an unusual "forward sight" model that places the rear sight just in front of the ejection port. I will reserve judgement until I can actually shoot a pistol that is so equipped. At any rate, for those that aren't impressed with that sight arrangement, a more conventional setup will be available.

Field strip is similar to the Glock but there's no need to pull back on the slide to unload the pressure on the disassembly levers. Simply clear the gun, pull the trigger, pull down on the disassembly levers and push the slide forward off the frame.

Over all, a pretty neat design.
  • Wicked-Edge Sharpeners was there and I was impressed with their product. It's expensive, but that's the only negative thing I can come up with to say about it after watching them demonstrate on several knives, including a ceramic knife.

Bart Noir

Thanks for this summary. And the words on the new FN pistol which I had never heard of.

The trigger pull was very crisp for a striker fired gun. They claimed it was about 5lbs and that's probably not far off--the ones I handled felt lighter than that due to the nice break.

Am I the only one to find it disturbing that they plan to make an LEO version that has no manual safety?

We think a combat 1911 is good-to-go with a 4 1/2 pound crisp trigger. And this new FN gun would have a 5 pound crisp trigger. But would you put a cocked-and-unlocked 1911 into your holster then go out on those famous mean streets?

I certainly would not. So I hope the LEO version will have a noticably heavier trigger pull.

Bart Noir

Thanks for the succinct write-up JohnKSa. One of the better reviews I've seen of SHOT 2012. Interested to hear about the FN pistol as well, I'd been looking at their FNP but discounted it because I didn't want a DA/SA or DAO pistol. I might need to give that FNS a look.

Wicked-Edge Sharpeners was there and I was impressed with their product. It's expensive, but that's the only negative thing I can come up with to say about it.

I can think of another negative thing. They charge your card right away even though the thing is backordered over 9 weeks now. If it were $50-60 that wouldn't be as much of a irritant as it is at $250 (for the basic model). At least it is nice to know that it may be worth the wait.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Am I the only one to find it disturbing that they plan to make an LEO version that has no manual safety?
5-6 lbs is pretty standard for a striker fired gun these days, although the FN S trigger might be a little shorter and feel a little lighter than some. By the way, the manual safety is pretty small--I get the feeling it was put there so you can say it's there if you want it (or it's mandated in your area) and more or less ignore it if you don't.

It was functional, however. Frame-mounted, easy to operate, down for fire, up for safe.
They charge your card right away even though the thing is backordered over 9 weeks now.
Not having ordered from them, I was not aware of that. That's not a practice likely to endear a company to its customers.

From a functional standpoint, it appears to be pretty amazing based on everything I saw--hope they get the other issues worked out.

SHNOMIDO

As a proud FNP owner, that FNS is making me feel confused and guilty like checking out a woman that looks like your wife...

I dunno...think i have to get one...

But what if i like it more than the FNP? i dont want to hurt its feelings...:p

JohnKSa said:
It was functional, however. Frame-mounted, easy to operate, down for fire, up for safe.

As God and JMB intended! ;) Maybe I'm just getting curmudgeonly; but I don't even look at handguns with a slide-mounted manual safety or one that operates in reverse any more.

From a functional standpoint, it appears to be pretty amazing based on everything I saw--hope they get the other issues worked out.

Yes. Having dealt with a few gunsmiths/firearms/sporting manufacturers over the years, it is a practice that immediately raises the red flag for me. I start thinking things like "That is just what the guy who took 7 months to deliver and then stiffed me on the warranty when it broke did." and it makes me a little suspicious.

I was reassured to hear you say it looks like a good product though. If I can get a good edge with it, then we are about 5 months away from being able to use monkeys to sharpen knives...