Shot shells + rifled slug barrel = ???

Steam Boat

I have a chance to pick up a Rem. 870 pistol griped 18" rifled slug barrel on the cheap.
What possible problems is there with using Buck loads and bird shot through it ???.... Not for hunting of course, unless you consider BGs fair game.

nutty ned

Simply put, it will spin the pattern and make a hole in the pattern that could make you miss an otherwise easy shot.

zippy13

Something doesn't fit here, either the barrel or the stock seem swapped. IIRC, models with the rifled slug barrels came with conventional, not detached pistol grip stocks. Is the barrel fitted with a cantilevered scope mount base? Colt and Ned are correct about the barrel not being well suited for shot.

Steam Boat

I haven't seen it yet, I am told it is a former LE shotgun, I am wondering if it will be a good HD weapon using 00 buck or smaller shot to prevent over penetration, I don't want to buy the neighbor a new LCD TV if I had to fire at an intruder.

Scattergun Bob

Steam Boat

Of all of the possible configurations for 870's, this would be the least effective in my mind.

If the receiver, and tube are in good shape and the price is right, 18" fighting barrels in IC or cyl bore are available. You might think about converting this gun.

I am as far as PGO stock, tired of the discussion, you might search for the answers by entering the the phrase PGO stocks.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited: