Shot my new Mini Mauser today.

SaxonPig

Mid 30s and too cold for comfort but anxious to shoot new gun. Waiting for scope to arrive and I am no good with open sights (can't see them with my old eyes) but I shot a 7/8" group at 50 yards having no idea where the front bead was on the target. Hoping to do better (and more consistently) when the glass is mounted.

standard.jpg

taylorce1

What's it chambered for? My daughter has a custom mini in .250 Savage, and I have a buddy that has one in .223 and 7.62X39. They all three shoot very well, the only thing is the wood stocks could be a little trimmer.

natman

My daughter has a custom mini in .250 Savage

How was this accomplished? I once thought about converting a 22/250 mini to 250 Sav, but the heavier bullets were too long for the magazine.

SaxonPig

It's in 223Rem and I got it from a GunBroker auction. Seller was about 100 miles away as it turned out.

I have an older version with a fiberglass stock that has shot 1/2" at 100 yards. I think these little rifles can perform.

Been there

I have 2 Mini Mausers in .222 & .223, both shoot extremely well.
The .222 has a synthetic stock & the .223 has a monte carlo walnut stock.

PetahW

One in .250 would be nice...........

I was going to have the bbl of my CZ527 mini-Mauser rebored for the .250 Savage - but the cartridges I had on hand were too long for the CZ action.

Maybe there's mini-Mausers, and then there's mini-Mausers - with some mini-Mausers not being equal in size to others.

Been there

These are true mini actions, similar to the Sako xs ( A1) & are not long enough for the .250. For that, you need a short action.

taylorce1

While not a perfect fit you can get the .250 Savage in a Mini Mauser action. It takes a little shoe horning by a good gunsmith with a little imagination.

They are a little short for the .250 Savage if you want to use spitzer bullets heavier than 100 grains. The way the smith did it was to open up the back of the action to accommodate the longer cartridge, made a new magazine, and follower. He also moved the bolt stop back to make the bolt travel longer.

Because the action is so short you will have a problem ejecting loaded rounds as well. There isn't any problems ejecting the fired cartridges though. I suppose that if I wanted to shoot some of those old 117-120 grain round nose bullets I could get them to work in the Mini action as well.

Been there

Never seen this done , but you learn something every day.:)
They are usually converted to 6.5x39 Tiffen, here.
I admire the effort you went to for your daughter , that's quite a modification.

SaxonPig

I once wanted to make a Mini Mauser in 7 TCU (223 necked up). My smith said he could make a switch barrel gun with one in each caliber (223 & & TCU) and that sounded like fun. But when I saw how well the thing shot I couldn't bring myself to mess with it.

taylorce1

Been there said:
I admire the effort you went to for your daughter , that's quite a modification.

I didn't go to any effort with this rifle. I bought it used after the gunsmith who built it put it up for sale. He loves the .250 Savage and built it for himself. He builds a few rifles every year and tests them out, and after awhile he puts them up for sale.

I saw this rifle when he finished it and told him I should build one my daughter. She was almost seven at the time and I held off because I didn't know if she'd ever want to hunt. I bought the rifle for he last year after he put it up on his web site for sale, and she had shot her first deer. I got it much cheaper than if I'd have had him build one exactly like it.

250-1.jpg

250-2.jpg

250-3.jpg

hannah.jpg

SaxonPig

Very handsome rifle.

Cute girl. She seems very pleased with her new rifle.

I very much like the fact that so many girls and young women are getting into shooting for sport and self-defense.

Been there

''I didn't go to any effort with this rifle. I bought it used after the gunsmith who built it put it up for sale. He loves the .250 Savage and built it for himself.''

Well she is still a lucky girl !. I started my oldest son on a Zastava .222, when he was 9, it had been glass-bedded. in it's original , heavy plastic stock & trigger stoned & set to 2lb. He won the club junior & senior championships with it. It always was a .5 MOA rifle.
The .250 is an extremely efficient cartridge ,which these days, is sadly being overlooked. Thanks for the photos':D

bamaranger

mannlicher stocked?

I've never seen one stocked in the mannlicher style, is that factory, or has it been restocked?.

My standard stocked version acts like it wants to shoot, but then gets squirrely, some day I will bed it.