Shot my new 629 today

TurkeySlayer

I hit the range early this morning with my new 629 Mountain Gun.

I was using Winchester 240 gr factory 44 Mag and 200 gr 3D brand 44 Specials.

The anticipated recoil was anticlimactic. It was more than I'm used to, but comfortable. I'm sure there are plenty of stouter loads out there.

The 44 Specials were fun to shoot and let me get used to the balance of the gun.

The trigger is good but not yet great. My past experience with S&W leads me to believe it will get better.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. I like it quite a bit. I already have a longing for a Super Redhawk. :)

Herb Leventhal

44 mag

There "ain't nothing" like firing a 44 mag S&W 629 on the outdoor range. I have been shooting fullhouse handloads factory equiv for the past 10 years. Its almost as good as you know what! I shoot the 6.5 inch 629 classic DX. Magnificent. I own the mountain gun but stiff recoil with my handloads. If you like the Smith trigger you will not like the Ruger. I owned the Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk, sold them both. Lousy trigger!! Ruger needs do do something with their trigger. Enjoy your new toy.
Herb

notbubba

One thing I've found about shooting a .44 mag is that I have much less flinch the next time I shoot my 9mm.:D

At least for awhile.;)

P.S. this is a wonderfull time of the year to have a cold.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I shoot a Smith & Wesson 629-5 "Classic" with a 5" barrel;
when it roar's down range, everyone just stops and look's
due to the brillant muzzle blast and recoil.:rolleyes: :D

Seasons Greeting's,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Bob C

With the few examples in my experience,out of the box Redhawk or Super Redhawk triggers are not great, to be kind. Too heavy, and also some creep. Out of the box S&W triggers usually are OK after a minimal break-in.

Trigger jobs on the Rugers, however, are usually very successful.

I own, and like, both maker's products.

Herb Leventhal

44 mag

Ala Dan:
We once measured the muzzle flash to be 6 feet. My shooting colleagues are very impressed with my 44 mag as I have been for 10 years
Herb

Ronin 99

A friend of mine was watching me shoot my 629 DX a few months ago and I asked him if he'd like to run a few rounds through it. Said he only wanted to shoot one round and put it dead center in the 10 ring at 40 feet. The look on his face was priceless and when I went upstairs to the gunshop I found him ordering the exact same model from the shopowner. My favorite gun to shoot by far.
Ronin

Doug 29

I remember reading that Elmer Keith shot his .44 Magnum, with full-power loads, 600 times in a year. Some of you folks are masochists (love pain!). I much prefer handloads such as 7.5 gr. of Unique, with a 250 gr. SWC. I'll save the max loads for the few times that I need them! Actually, 5 gr. of Bullseye, with the same bullet, is a very accurate and pleasant load.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Herb;

I never would have dreamed that the muzzle flash from a
.44 magnum would measure 6 feet; WOW!:D that is truly
amazing.:) I am really enjoying the 5" S&W 629-5 Classic;
but previously got as much enjoyment out of S& W's model
29's, in avariety of barrel length's.:cool:

Merry Christmas,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Pittsburg

I agree that the 44mag is a great cartridge. I shoot a customized 4" Redhawk with an excellent trigger job by Mag-na-port. The 44mag is great to handload. Plenty of components and load data out there. My Dillon 550B stays set up for it most of the time. I recently bought a Marlin 1894P to go with the Redhawk. Excellent rifle, only $370.