Shot my first 1911 the other day

CortJestir

So I went to the range yesterday and saw they had a Taurus stainless steel 1911 w/ 5" barrel in .45. First time I ever shot both a 1911 and .45ACP. I loved it! I didn't do too bad at 25 feet - managed to keep a pretty good grouping. And the bang is so satisfying. :D Color me a noob, but now I know why this platform is so appealing!

I am not a huge fan of my 1911. The thumb safety is awkward, shooting with your thumb on the safety is awkward, and for some reason keeping the grip safety pressed is an issue with this gun although I have no problems with my XD. The trigger is light and crisp...just a very different pull than any other semi-auto I have shot.

I am going to be patient and see if mine grows on me...wonder if there are any others out there who don't particularly care for the platform just because it's not right for them.

Sturmgewehre

I am not a huge fan of my 1911. The thumb safety is awkward, shooting with your thumb on the safety is awkward, and for some reason keeping the grip safety pressed is an issue with this gun although I have no problems with my XD. The trigger is light and crisp...just a very different pull than any other semi-auto I have shot.
You're in the minority. The ergonomics of the 1911 has been copied for the last 90 years. It has been, and continues to be, the standard by which all other pistols are measured.

The safety is by far the most ergonomic safety ever devised. The grip safety is the most easily engaged and most transparent safety ever devised (and still copied - XD series).

Oldjarhead

1911s forever

The 1911 was made during a time, when you needed a weapon that worked, and worked efficiently. A time when they had one of the greatest gun makers in the world-John Moses Browning, devise the 1911. It was used by our armed forces for 75 years and was scraped in favor of an Italian make of pistol with a caliber of "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't".(stopping power) It is common knowlege at the time,that it was a politcal deal, so we could have cruise missiles in Italy. This was in the late days of the cold war. The 1911 today is being made by over 25 gun makers around the world. It is still the top seller of semi-auto pistols in the USA. Used by SWAT teams, and miltary units in the USA. Why? Because it is still a proven design after 97 years. I will keep and carry my 1911s till the day I die.

Tom2

Not as bad as the old army recruits made it out to be was it? They were firing loose guns with maybe no ear plugs and a one hand old fashioned hold style. It did not fly up and hit you in the forehead or break your hand? I had no idea what to expect when I fired my first .45 but not so bad. Even the stainless officers model I once had, was not bad to shoot at all. Wish I had it still. Now I can't afford it.

jdc1244

Since it’s not practical to take all of our handguns to the range, guns go based on ‘range rotation.’ A Colt’s 1911, however, always makes it to the range. It’s a must shoot. :)

CortJestir

If I may paraphrase Oldjarhead, The 1911 is an "elegant weapon for a more civilized age" :D

I wish the range I went to rented more of 'em. I think I spied one in .40 (a Kimber, maybe?). That DW CBOB that seems to be in all the 1911 threads of late is looking mighty nice right now.

A Springfield G.I. .45 was my first pistol, and I ended up selling it when I bought my XD .40. I wish I never did. The XD is great and all, but the 1911 is what it is, and really has no comparison.

Snatch one up when you get the chance.

KyJim

shooting with your thumb on the safety is awkward
Then don't do that! Seriously, I don't shoot with my thumb on the safety. Sometimes you have to individualize your grip to do what is best for you. As far as the grip safety is concerned, you might want to take a look at a grip safety with memory grooves. They are a little more positive feeling for most people.

Sturmgewehre

A time when they had one of the greatest gun makers in the world-John Moses Browning, devise the 1911. It was used by our armed forces for 75 years and was scraped in favor of an Italian make of pistol with a caliber of "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't"
Well, it wasn't completely scrapped. It was replaced by the M9 for standard issue, true. But several units (Marine MEU's, Marine FAST, Delta, etc.) still use it. It's not completely gone... so it's still technically serving our nation. Just think, in 3 more years it will have been in service 100 years. Now THAT is a testament to the design.

HappyGunner

The 1911s are fun guns to shoot I have a 3" and 5" Kimber also a Para CCO LDA that is a really change from the Std. 1911 being it's a D/A with a small flat hammer that you don't cock, and it's a real great shooting 1911.:)

Magyar

Then don't do that! Seriously, I don't shoot with my thumb on the safety.
True...At one time, I wanted to be "like Jeff C." who stated he could tell a rookie by this very omission. I could manage it in "straight" bullseye shooting, but not in any realistic, rapid firing CQC scenarios...:eek:

CortJestir

I'll admit that I had to get used to the grip safety on the Taurus, but it only took 1 round. :D

Yeah, wow, centennial anniversary of the 1911 coming up. I can only imagine what's in the works for 100-year editions of the pistol from the major manufacturers. Better start saving up now.