Shot In My First Steel Competition 5/7/11

Marlin009

My daughter and I went to the steel match at the Hernando Sportsman's Club last Saturday. We were shooting in the Open Rimfire Pistol class with my Ruger Mark III with a Tru-Glo Red Dot sight.

Morgan has only been shooting for a year (only when she's home from UF) and has very little time with this gun (usually shoots her 9MM). She's shot a few mags at the indoor range with it and participated in the practice on the Wednesday before the competition. I thought she'd be nervous, I was wrong. :D

I finished 4th in the Open Class and 4th in the Rimfire Overall. She finished 5th in the Open and 7th in the Overall. There were 9 people in the Open and 14 Overall. I thought she did very well. :D She beat me in two of the four stages which made her very happy. I have some work to do or I'm going to get my butt whooped at the next one, which would be fine with me. :D

I forgot that I had the camera until she was starting the last stage. Here is a short video of her last 4 runs on that stage. I think this was her best stage so it was a good one to video. We both had a great time and it's really cool to be able to do this with her. I think she has some natural ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvx1D8kyWC4

aarondhgraham

Rimfire Steel is an absolute hoot!,,,

And it's affordable for everyone.

IDPA, IPSC, SASS, and others are great sports,,,
But they are often prohibitively expensive for many folk.

.22 Rimfire guns and ammo though,,,
They are affordable for most shooting enthusiasts.

This summer I am definitely getting into the sport,,,
I'm going to do it differently though,,,
I'm using a "duty" style pistol,,,
My CZ-75B Kadet.

No optical sights or tricked out Rugers for this paunchy old coot,,,
I'm doing it with the same style of gun that cops use.

I know I'll get my old butt whupped by a lot of people,,,
But since I'm really only competing with my last match score,,,
I think I'll at least have as much fun as anyone out there on the firing line.

Aarond

hercster

Congrats

Good show Ms. Martin. I'm firmly of the belief that the future of our sports are in capable female hands. The biggest and best marketing to counter the anti arguments will be to the ladies. For some, we need to relieve fear and distrust; for others it may be the proof we need to show that we are not all "knuckle draggers".

aarondhgraham

Good show Ms. Martin. I'm firmly of the belief that the future of our sports are in capable female hands.

Last summer I attended a Rimfire Steel Challenge match,,,
The overall match winner was a 13 year old girl,,,
She was sporting a tricked out Ruger Mk-II.

I think your statement might be absolutely correct.

Aarond