Shot at Gun Show...anyone hear about this??

RH Factor

JULY 15, 15:10 ET
Teen Shot in Head at Gun Show Dies

NORCROSS, Ga. (AP) — A 13-year-old boy died Monday after being shot in the head while attending a gun show with his father.

Stephen King of Prattville, Ala., was struck in the eye Sunday by a bullet that lodged in his brain. He died after surgery at an Atlanta hospital.

It was unclear how the shooting happened or whose gun, a .38-caliber revolver, was involved. Police said they believe it went off accidentally.

The boy's father, Anthony Grant, of Montgomery, Ala., said his son was standing on his side and facing a vendor's counter when the gun fired.

``We were looking at holsters. I was reaching to get money out of my pocket when the shot went off,'' Grant said. ``There were all kinds of people behind the counter. I was looking down, so I didn't see anything.''

Vendors at gun shows are allowed to carry loaded handguns for protection but cannot display them on a table or let customers handle them, authorities said. Other loaded guns are not allowed, except for those carried by police officers or security guards.

``All we know for sure is it was an accidental discharge of a handgun,'' Gwinnett County police spokesman Ray Dunlap said. ``At this point, we don't know if it was a vendor's gun, but it was not a gun being exhibited on a table.''

Drizzt

couldn't find the original thread.....

Warrant out for gun show vendor in accidental shooting death

By RICK BADIE
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Gwinnet County authorities today issued an arrest warrant for a Florida holster vendor who reportedly was holding the gun that accidentally discharged and killed a teenager at a Norcross gun show.

Cleveland Lewis Chaney, 57, of Obrien, Fla., is expected to surrender on the involuntary manslaughter charge as soon as possible, Gwinnett Cpl. Ray Dunlap said Thursday.

Steven Bray King, 13, died July 15, a day after a bullet struck him in his right eye. The Prattville, Ala., boy had attended the gun show with his father, Anthony Grant, 38, of Montgomery.

The investigation showed that the gun discharged as Chaney apparently placed it in the holster while showing it to Grant, Dunlap said today.

Early on in the investigation authorities said they might never know exactly what happened because they received conflicting accounts when they interviewed Chaney and Grant.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0802/22gunshow.html

AR-10

Can't remember, but it seems like it was a revolver.

Usually I would be wondering something similar, but at this point I don't think it matters. It was not the gun. It was the idiot at the end of the gun.

He was not supposed to be carrying a loaded weapon in the building. He was twice stupid for demonstrating his wares by using a loaded gun. Then he didn't have the guts to admit he was holding the gun. Lets a grieving father go through the crap of being accused of causing the incident on top of the tragedy he and his family faced.

No good thing to say about that one.

CWL

Reading the article would help.

It clearly says ".38 caliber revolver".

Let's not blame Glock for every stupid mishap in th eworld.

AR-10

Uh, yeah.

The third time I reread it, I see it does say.......

Also says vendors are allowed to carry.

My bad. Thought I had read the post.

Kentucky Rifle

I have a bad habit at gun shows...

It happened to me at the Lexington show. It seems to be an auto-response thing I have no control over. It goes like this--Someone had one of those fast, commercial sewing machines set up to put "logos" on hats. When I got close to the thing, it made it's "BURRRRR" sound. I hit the floor. Some type of flashback, I reckon. Not the first time it's happened to me either. What'er you goting to do? To my warped mind, it was a machine gun.

KR

CZ Gunner

.. By the time you hear it, it's usually to late anyway ... but I know where you are coming from!

Check six.

Gunner

WAGCEVP

The vendor , a retired cop, should have known better than to hand a loaded gun to anyone, ESP. someone he did NOT know!

The idiot father turned out to be a newbie to guns, first time buyer...... JERK! any idiot knows you do NOT point a gun a AT YOUR KID!