Shot an AR15 yesterday!

Dezynco

I have a friend who has a brother that graciously loaned me his Bushmaster AR15. I have been thinking about getting one or building one, but didn't know if I really wanted one or not. I bought two boxes of shells for it. His AR has a short bull barrel in .223.

I can see why folks get so cranky about them!:D I tore out a sheet of notebook paper and colored in a 1" dot, then stapled it up at about 25 yards. Wow, I managed to put 6 shots in the circle, with open sights! Later that afternoon, I set up a target at 100 yards and put 5 shots into a 6 inch group, still with open sights. Not too bad!

I was a little "iffy" about the little .223 cartridge, but it's a really fun round to shoot, and more powerful than I thought. I set up a gallon milk jug, full of water at about 60 yards or so. Made ribbons out of it with one shot!

I'll probably still consider a larger caliber, but the little .223 would be nice to have around. I might just order a stripped reciever today! I've got to admit that I've waited WAY to long to get one!

That "iffy" little round is very effective, especially when compared to handgun calibers. I find it funny how some people (not necessarily you) have more faith in their .45ACP than in the 5.56.

The AR15 is an excellent platform.

Last edited:

kraigwy

Want to get off the "Iffy" feeling, try shooting High Power or 1000 yard matches. You load the 80 SMKs (long for single loading instead of in the mag) you'll forget the iffy, you'll also see you dont need a larger cal, (unless you are talking about big game hunting).

You cant tell anything about a rifle shooting 25 yards, try 200-300 and see how well the 223 in an AR Platform does. Last match I was at I scored for a dude who shot a 200-11 at 300 yards, and was beat by his shooting partner who had a 200-16X. Both shooting ARs in 223.

Those puppies shoot.

Dezynco

I'm not knocking the .223, just haven't used any .22 caliber centerfires much. We don't have too many varmits around here that couldn't be taken care of with some other caliber. I do a lot of shooting with a .308 and 30-06. My FAVORITE rifle is my heavy barreled Rolling Block in 45-70. I shoot 70 grains of FFg with 520grain bullets - out to 600 yards!! It just makes the .223 look so small!

I've always been fond of the 22 Hornet, my dad has 4 or 5 different rifles in the old Hornet. I must say that I'm very impressed with the .223 and could find my way to becoming very fond of it indeed! The ammo is cheap too.

The guy that I borrowed the AR15 from uses his to deer hunt, and swears by it, though I would still rather have a little more lead. That's why I'm thinking maybe a 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel. It would be nice to have the .223 barrel too, I guess that's the nice thing about the AR's - the ability to switch barrels and change to a bigger caliber.

MTMilitiaman

The AR is a decent platform. It is generally reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, and modular. And I despise the hell out of it. I actually really wish I could warm up to them, but even knowing how to keep them running and hit with them on demand, I never could. I hate cleaning the things. It must have something to do with cleaning my rifle for an hour to stand in line at the armory window for half an hour only to be turned down because the armorer caught a glimpse of dust on the Surefire lens, or between a rail on the RIS, or the screw on the RCO mount, or...

Or maybe it was cleaning that bolt and the star chamber. I know they must have tools for that, but I was never issued one...

I know it has something to do with the sound of the buffer tube next to my head. Real rifles don't go "SPOING." Cartoon rifles go "SPOING." Then the rabbit gets away.

Am I judging the rifle unfairly? Probably. Does it matter? No. Not to me at least.

Of course, that just means there are more for you ;)

That "iffy" little round is very effective, especially when compared to handgun calibers. I find it funny how some people (not necessarily you) have more faith in their .45ACP than in the 5.56.

I am no fan of the 5.56--you and many other regulars probably know that, at least, about me. But I have to agree with you on this. There is a world of difference between handguns and rifles. And I too have always found it ludicrous that people would be more confident in a .45 or .357 than a 5.56.

Scorch

I gave up feeling "iffy" about the rifle/cartridge combination in 1976, and again in 1983, and then again in 1986, and especially in 1989. I am impressed with it every time I lay down on the 600 yds firing line and start hitting the black. But that's just me. Handle it, work with it, and you will be impressed with its capabilities whenever you take it out for a day across-the-course.

TPAW

I'm on a fine gray line about buying an AR. Why do most shooters of the AR refer to it's ammo as .223? Does anyone shoot the 5.56? Is there a significant difference in accuracy, power? If I buy an AR, I would want one that shoots both. Is my thinking on track?

anythingshiny

I've shot a lot of rounds through a lot of rifles.. 22 to 308 and I'll admit that I'm just fond of the AR platform and the 223 round. It's accurate enough, modular enough and shoots well enough. Enough to do the job. :)

It's a very versatile weapon system...plink, HD, target, zombie invasion...whats not to love!?

I currently run a Bushy XM15E2S...xv9'erfoxtrotCE399tango....ha!

armedtotheteeth

"SPOING".
HA!! HAHAHAHAHA, I love it!! Mine used to do that. now it goes ""SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, SPOING, " ARs are a bit like heroin, some people think they should be illegal, and they are very damned addictive.