Shot a Glock 21 today

Merad

I've been thinking about getting my first .45 sometime this winter and have been looking at some options. On a fluke today at the range I decided to try a Glock 21 (free rentals with membership, hooray) and put 100 rounds through it.

I know a lot of people say Glocks are love 'em or hate 'em... but I'm not quite sure how well I like it. I'd say I had nice accuracy with it, for my first time with a Glock and first time seriously shooting a .45. But despite that, the grip just didn't feel "right". It seemed like my hand kept drifting too high on the grip. I avoided getting a bite from the slide, but there was a reddish spot on my hand where I think the slide rubbed my hand a few times.

Not planning on buying any time soon, so I'm not really looking for any specific advice, just looking for thoughts from any Glock shooters here.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the range gun is a G21 Gen 2. Not sure if there are any major differences between it and the Gen 3 or 4.

Mrgunsngear

I have the G21 Gen3 SF with 1913 rail and love it. I guess you could call me a Glock fan-boi but even I admit that for a lot of people the guns naturally point high due to the grip angle. That said, it's easily overcome with practice. I've never had a problem with slide bite so I can't comment on that end. I think it's a great .45 due to 100% reliablitity through a couple thousand rounds (to include crap steel stuff :eek:) and good accuracy. I stippled the grip to aid in faster follow up shots and found that worked well.

Other polymer .45s I love:

FNP45
M&P45
G30

sigcurious

Had a similar experience when I tried a some Glocks, 17 and 21, at the range. No issues with slide bite, but I too was concerned that I might get it . Now, I understand why people really like them, once I adjusted to the grip angle they pointed nicely, were easy to operate and accurate. Definitely going to add one to the collection eventually.

bossman

Very solid 45 acp been around for years with great reveiws. I would like to fine one for range time with the 45acp. Just have to have a good price.

Departed402

My department issues Glock 21s. It's hard to beat the G21 in terms of capacity (as with all Glocks, you just can't beat 'em). I have slightly longer hands, and I can't my hand wrapped around it quite right. The Glock 22 grip is smaller and much more comfortable for me. I shoot well with the 21, so it's not that big of a deal I guess.

I'm not a big Glock fan, but they do have some admirable qualities. I see why people like them, but I'm a fan of DA/SA guns. My next personal purchase will be a P226 or P239.

dawico

The G21 fits my huge hands perfectly. The G22 and similiar sized grips are just a touch small for me. Love the 21. If it is too large but you want one, check out the G21SF.

jmr40

If you can get your hands wrapped around the big framed Glock they are great guns. You might find the SF model fits you better, or one of the smaller calibers. I like Glocks well enough, but some folks hands are just not big enough to handle the 20,21,29,30 models.

Lots of guys complain about the Glock grip angle, but that is the Glocks biggest advantage. Stop fighting it and start with your hand higher on the grip. That is where it is supposed to be and the grip angle forces you to put it there. If you've been shooting other guns for a while it may take a few range trips to get comfortable with the different angle. But once you master it, you will understand why it is better.

Merad

I have huge hands so I don't think the grip size itself was a problem. My normal shooter is a P226 with Hogue grips which is pretty massive. I'm thinking I'll look more at a G21 Gen 4 when it's closer to buy time.

chris in va

I had a 21SF for a while, couldn't get used to the grip angle. Sold it and got a 97b.

I like the Gen 3 G21 SF and now the Gen 4 G21 frame is out. Check out the Gripforce adapter which may help the grip issues.

They don't make it for the 21.

For the following GLOCK 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen models ONLY : 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 38.

Hey Merad,
My LGS finally started getting in the Glock 21 Gen 4s. Glock really reduced the grip on this one. Without any backstraps it feels like a Gen 3 G17. I will definitely pick one up when money allows. You may prefer one of the backstraps, but either way you''ll love the texture.

Te Anau

The 21 really is a love it or leave it proposition.My S&W 4506 was so superior to my 21 that I chose to leave it.

MADISON

Glock 21 today?

My 21 is old enough to buy liquor. [21 years old in August]
I love my 45 ACP, Glock 21. Because of the grip angle, I shoot low with a
1911. Not with a Glock.
I, recently bought a 22 [40 S&W] but have not shot it yet.
Go for the 21!!

Merad

Does anyone here have a gen 4 yet? What do you think of the dual recoil spring system? That's the only thing that makes me a bit hesitant on them. Seems like its added complexity that isn't really necessary. But of course, Glocks have a pretty good reputation on reliability (that torture test someone linked before... Jeez).