SHOT 100 ROUNDS OF 12ga 00 BUCK ! ! !

Jeepmark2005

I took my Son shooting yesterday. We brought his Ruger 10/22 and I brought my Mossberg 590 12ga equiped with a Knoxx Specops stock and an ammo can of full power Remington 2 3/4 00Buck. I had 160 shells in the ammo can and now the can is near empty. The knox stock reduced recoil so much that 100 rounds of full power 12ga was a non-event The Knoxx stock is awsome. I was even bold enough to fire it one handed, pistol style several times. Nothing to it. If you don't have one of these stocks, GET ONE.

KYGlock

JeepMark2005,

Any issues with the 590 safety and the SpecOps stock? I've read that some folks have difficulty manipulating the safety with this stock installed.

I'm getting ready to get one myself.

Jeepmark2005

No. Not at all. The safety on the Mossberg is mounted on the top of the reciever and is not effected by the stock at all. I also have a Tac star side saddle mounted on the left side of the reciever and that does not effect anything. The only safety issue would be on a 870 with an oversized safety button. Upon recoil it would hit the stock and cause damage. Hope that helps. Visit Knoxx's web site for more info or I will be more than happy to tell you more about my experiance with this stock. After 100+ rounds of 00Buck my shoulder has absolutly no soreness. I can't begin to tell you how little felt recoil is left. It is only a small push. No KICK at all. It will be the best addition to your shotgun you can do.

webbee

The problem with the Mossberg receiver mounted safety is you must remove your trigger hand from the pistol grip to manipulate the safety when using the Cop/SpecOps stocks. You are not in control of the weapon with only one hand on the forearm and that is the problem. While this can be overcome by any shooter at the range, I question how effective it is when in stressed situations. There isn't any interference with the Knoxx stock and Mossberg's safety.
I think the safest Knoxx stock to use with Mossberg's is Knoxx's full stock version CompStock, which functions just like a normal stock but still has the recoil reduction feature.

Scattergun Technologies makes a flat wide head safety which works with the SpecOps on 870s.

Jeepmark2005 isn't it wonderful to shoot buck and slug without any of the problems associated with punishing recoil? I just love Knoxx stocks for making my shotties so much fun to shoot.

Jeepmark2005

Thank you for understanding and answering his question better than me. I rarely use the safety on my shotgun. The plastic safety on the Mossberg is not something I would want to count on in a pinch anyway. I think there is a metal replacement but I have not really been concerned about obtaining it. Yes, you need to change your grip to manipulate the safety but it WILL function properly. Your shooting style will dictate what model is best for you. Good luck.

webbee

Naw...You gave a great report. I was just adding my .02. I'm a great believer in safety and safety's, so I noted the problem when firing a CopStock equiped 500A. A really fun weapon to shoot, just awkward to manipulate the safety around the pistol grip. I really like shooting slugs one-handed with this shotty. The aluminium receiver helps make it light enough to hold at arms length...like a pistol.

It seems to me that when a Mossy plastic safety breaks, it is usually from something catching on it and breaking a part of it off, or dropage. Generally they hold up pretty well.
For those seeking metal replacements, Brownell's offers these and you will probably need a replacement screw too:

Mossburg Metal Safety

Vang Oversized Safety

Safety Button Screw

skeeter1

Whenever I use one of my 12-gauge SxS shotgun, the safety goes "on" whenever I open it for reloading. It's just a thumb-click away from being "off safety." After 30 years of using them, that just comes naturally to me. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Jeepmark2005

Well the mossberg ALSO has the slide release located in a difficult position. My Safety works but you have to hold your mouth just right or it binds. I find that if I put my thumb on the screw (center) of the safety it works but if I push it from , say where the red dot is, the bottom of the safety , it binds. I usually just keep the 12ga in my safe with the hammer down on an empty chamber and cycle one in when I need it. With the Knoxx stock my shotty is starting to see more use and attention and the safety may be addresed soon but it is not my top priority.

Maser

I have heard nothing but great things about the KNOXX stocks. I bet the whole time you were shooting you had a huge smile on your face. By the way did your son get a chance to fire the Mossberg at all? If so how was the recoil for him?

Jeepmark2005

He did. Once. I had recently bought him a 870 20GA youth model for hunting. He fired it once and gave it back. Same result when he fired the 12Ga. It still gave him a good push. He does not weigh enough to resist the force of recoil to let the stock compress and do it's job. He DID say it was better than firing the 20ga but a range report from a 10 year old may be lacking. He could barely hold up the gun to fire it. I think the blast scared him, more than hurt him but I don't want him to develop a flinch and do not intend to put him behind too much gun again. It was a bad idea. The stock can only absorb the recoil if it has enough resistance to cause it to compress and decelerate the recoil. A 85 pound person just can't get into the gun enough to do that.