Short Shucking: Is it the guns fault?

zippy13

In a recent posting, one member mentioned, "I have a Mossberg that has jammed, but it's always because I short stroke it, not because the gun itself malfunctions."

It got me wondering: We see all sorts of dimensions in shotguns' specifications, is the length of stroke ever given? Does one model have a significantly longer or shorter stroke than the others? Are side ejectors strokes typically shorter, or longer, than bottom ejectors? What model has the shortest stroke? Of course, this assumes guns with equal cambering -- we won't compare the strokes of a 3 1/2-inch mag with a 3-inch or 2 3/4-inch chambered gun.

What have you got (including its nominal chamber length) and how long is its full stroke?

For the sake of this comparison, for the full stroke: With an unloaded gun, measure from the muzzle to the front of the forearm with the action closed while exerting forward pressure (to take up any slack), get a second dimension with the action open while exerting rearward pressure. Subtract the first dimension from the second for full stroke. If it's raining, and you have nothing else to do, repeat this several times and calculate the average.

BigJimP

For the record --- its Nov in Seattle, yes its raining ...(but my pump guns are meticulously maintained ) so no need to check it nineteen times and average it out .....(no slop in my guns ...) but I did check it 3 times, just because I'm anal ....

Browning BPS 12ga, 3" chamber - 4 1/8" of travel ( Hunter model, 28" barrel)
Browning BPS 20ga, 3" chamber - 4 1/8" of travel (Hunter model, 28" barrel)

Interesting thought / it will be fun to see if there is a difference in mfg's and different models ... ( no 870's, model 12's, etc in my safe ...to compare personally ).

( and no, short shucking a pump gun, is never the guns fault ...) ...but you don't believe that either ...

Last edited:

Technosavant

The only times I've short stroked my 870 on the skeet field were when I was firing lighter loads. 1 1/8oz, no problem. 1 oz, occasionally an issue. 7/8 oz, I short stroke it right and left. You should have seen the looks I got when I explained that the heavier loads cycled better in my 870. :p

Seriously, though, in that instance it had to do with bringing the gun down out of recoil- the more recoil, the more to be done, so it was easier to shuck it fully.

It's about the shooter and how he/she operates and practices with it.

oneounceload

Zippy.......how could operator error be the gun's fault? It's an inanimate object and if you don't operate it properly, it's gonna conjure up Mr. Murphy just to get back at you.........now, are you talking that the DESIGN of the inanimate object is somehow at fault? I'm not so sure, since they have been around for quite some time, I would have suspected they have worked out those kinks......

I still vote for operator error..................:D

Scorch

I have a Browning Citori. Its stroke is about 1/2" to the right.

I have a Browning A5. It's stroke isn't. Maybe it's the gun's fault.

I also have a Remington 1100 20 ga, 2-3/4". It must be malfunctioning, because I can't find a stroke on it. Must be designed wrong.

Zippy- not to be flippant, but how does operator error translate into the gun's fault? I mean, cycling a pump shotgun is a pretty simple operation: Pull back until it stops, push forward until it stops, pull the trigger. Repeat as needed.

oneounceload

now, now Jim.....that rain must be making you sad...(at least you don't have Ida to worry about).

short shucking, IMO has ALWAYS been operator error - whether due to fear or excitement or stress under a timer......I have never seen a short shuck on a clays course or trap field - they seem to work just fine.

Hope the sun comes out tomorrow.........;)

BigJimP

Contractors working on chimney repairs this week ( relining the furnace chimney flue / cleaning 2 fireplace flues / skim coating 3 fireplaces fire brick / and cleaning .....) then the entire rock chimney on the roof needs to be rebuilt ...

So I'm stuck at home for 3 days ...and surly ...

but you're right / no Ida bearing down on me ...(sorry). Be safe / I hope it doesn't hit too hard or too close to you .....(or anyone else ..).

Kmar40

I once had an instructor tell the students to treat the pump gun like a girlfriend, not like your wife. You're not going to break it, but you should pump the gun like you are trying to.

BigJimP

I hear you ShortWave - but so far so good .... but they're doing the most difficult part right now .......

zippy13

oneounceload said:
Zippy.......how could operator error be the gun's fault?
Scorch said:
Zippy- not to be flippant, but how does operator error translate into the gun's fault?
My friends, I agree, obviously, short shuckin' isn't the gun's fault. I'm curious about differing stroke lengths because one might get accustomed to a shorter stroke gun and switch a longer stroke one only to be plagued by short shucking problems. Have folks used to 2 3/4-inch chamber found themselves short shuckin' their new 3 1/2-inch chamber maxi-mag? And, I was looking for a thread title that might get a little more attention.

Sorry if you thought I was suggesting that short shuckin' might actually be the fault of an individual gun. In past discussions about the merits of various pump gun chamber lengths, I don't recall anyone ever discussing the ramifications of switching to a longer stroking gun. I thought it would be interesting if we were to learn that some of short shuckin' problems are associated with shooting longer chamber guns. Also, we gotta give BigJim something to think about, to occupy his time, now that it's started the rainy season in the Great Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:

oneounceload

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH - now I got ya Zippy - towards that end, I'll pass, since I have never owned or used a pump longer than 2-3/4......Since the action would have to be longer to accommodate the longer empty, I would imagine that it MIGHT be possible to short shuck a 3-1/2 gun if you're used to a 2-3/4

BigJimP

I'm ok ....

I've been in the wood shop a little this last week - got a couple of little projects out of the way that my wife was asking for .. just a couple of boxes, not that big a deal for storing Xmas stuff...

I've got one of the kids finishing up a band-saw box .... and her dad working on a fancy cribbage board for one of his clients ..... and all my shells are loaded (for all 4 gagues ) - and I have plenty of handgun ammo loaded - so its all good. And Monday nite football is on tonite / I'll live... some nice pasta for dinner / a nice bottle of cabernet sauvignon ... even my bad days are Great !

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I can't personally remember a situation of myself or a shooter I was with suffering a short stroking issue... what I have witnessed a number of times is "soft cycling" resulting in hung rounds.
It is a good thing my perverse side is under control from my rule abiding side cuz this thread could easily head for the gutter...:D
Brent

zippy13

hogdogs said:
It is a good thing my perverse side is under control from my rule abiding side cuz this thread could easily head for the gutter...
Brent,
Thanks, your restraint is appreciated.