Short arms, long stock... What to do?

jumpcut

I have heard that a pg is tactically inferior. Why is this so, and here is my problem. I recently bought a 870 express, it obviously came with a full stock. I am average height and I am proportional. When I attempt to raise the stock to my shoulder quickly it catches under my arm pit. With a pg this is obviously not a problem. I feel I can manuver quicker this way. Any suggestions?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mo_Zam_Beek

Synthetic stock came on my Mossy - I simply hacked it and reattached the butt pad. Depending on how short you cut it you may need to take a sturdy piece of aluminium, epoxy, and some nut plates to create a plate for your butt pad to screw into again. Not a big issue and about a $5.00 fix

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
"Serious" Shotguns get shot more like rifles, ergo a rifle style stock(up to an inch shorter) usually works best. But before you shorten it....

How much experience do you have on this? I'm much larger than average, and have shot standard stocks most of my life. Going to a trap stock recently showed me I could use a much longer stock than I had been and practice has me just as fast with a 14 7/8" stock as a 14" one.

Also, just to see how much a shorter stock will help, just take off the pad and practice a few mounts.

With a full stock, I think the length will have more to do with fit and fast mounting than whether it has a PG.

49hudson

An old rule of thumb for proper length of shotgun stock is the distance from the inside of your elbow to the end of the index finger.
compare this distance to the distance from the gun butt to the trigger.
These two measurments should be equal for proper fit.

Lionheart

Remington does, indeed, make a youth model, so I'm sure you could get a stock from them. The LOP is, I believe, 13" instead of 14" on the full-size stock.

Horizon_Seeker

Speedfeed is the answer

I have the exact same problem. When I got my new Mossberg 590A1, I tried both the factory stock and the speedfeed (non-pistol grip) version, the SF is about a inch shorter and gives a much better length of pull.