Short-action vs Long action

Picher

This has been a topic of discussion here lately. I'd like to throw in my theory. I've had considerable experience in rifle accurizing, especially in bedding methods.

I haven't found that there's a significant difference in accuracy between long and short actions, but more with case capacity and other variables.

When you compare short-actions to long actions, Both actions have bolt lock-up directly behind the cartridge and the recoil plate at the same point. Action stiffness varies more between single shot rifles and internal magazine rifles, but not a whole lot when talking hunting-accuracy.

The weakest link in a rifle's accuracy, given equal quality barrels, may be in the bedding of steel to the stock. Poor bedding or weak stocks can make a huge difference in rifle accuracy. (I recently saw a rifle shoot 4" groups with poor bedding, then shoot cloverleafs after pillar-bedding.)

My contention is that the biggest variable could be in the action length and it's bearing area in the stock. A longer action has more contact area and is longer, so should vary less than a shorter action. Think of a handgun with a longer barrel being inherently more accurate than a snub-nosed one. Both frames may be identically accurate, but the sight radius difference makes the difference in accuracy. Larger grips providing better hand-to-gun fit can also improve accuracy.

So, the longer bearing surface, especially in average factory-bedded rifles, combined with the longer distance between scope mounts may provide even greater accuracy than a shorter action. Variations in barrel accuracy may make a greater difference than action length (especially flexible actions with small recoil plates and cheap, squishy injection-molded stocks notwithstaning).

I believe the original Winchester Model 70 had only one receiver length, but had magazine blocks to accommodate shorter cartridges. Nobody seemed to complain about the hunting accuracy of that rifle (out of the box).

7MMGUY

Over the years I have owned various different production rifles from very good to excellent quality. Some of the the long action rifles shot very good groups others just acceptible. Medium length actions have been more accurate in my experience such as those designed for the 308 family of cartridges, 243, 7-08 etc. Some years ago the 22ppc and 6mmppc, though very short, were considered top notch target calibers. It should be considered that shorter actions may also be a bit stiffer than long actions which may result in better accuracy. I'm sure other shooters will have a different opinion, just my thoughts.

44 AMP

Staff
yes, but.....

I believe the original Winchester Model 70 had only one receiver length, but had magazine blocks to accommodate shorter cartridges. Nobody seemed to complain about the hunting accuracy of that rifle (out of the box).

Remember that was in an era when a 1.5MOA rifle was considered a very good shooter, and a rifle that went 1MOA or less was a pearl of great price, and treasured because of it.

Today we have rifles (and ammo) where 1MOA is considered the expected norm, and some people look down their noses at a rifle that will "only" group 1.5MOA!

For benchrest, or some other game where the ultimate in accuracy makes a significant difference, shorter, stiffer actions (and their cartridges) have shown better overall results. But, individual rifles can, and still do vary a lot. Sometimes you will see the long action outshoot the short one, and sometimes not. For big game hunting, either one, well done in a suitable caliber will be fine.

HunterGuy

Hell, I remember 25 years ago where me and a cousin were bragging about hitting deer at 300 yards with a lever action 30-30.

Nowadays, I wouldn't give a rifle a second look if it couldn't hit targets at 500 yards let alone 300.

It's gotten to the point now where rifles really do out perform the person actually shooting them most of the time. It really comes down to the actual bullets limitations on effective range.

Scorch

picher is right for the most part. I suppose there is a theoretical advantage to a short action over a long action (more rigid, less defletion when fired, length to diameter ratios, etc), but the barrel is the most critical part of the equation in shooting, then the chamber, then the attributes of the action. Bedding can have an enormous effect on accuracy, which is why so may benchresters epoxy bed and use V-blocks in their rifles. Note that barrel-making improvements have had an enormous effect on the group sizes of the average shooter. As noted above, rifles that shot sub-MOA 25-30 years ago were few and far between. I clearly remember the first sub-MOA group I ever saw fired, back in 1976. My friends and I were clearly awed by it, and we could not quit talking about it.

Loader9

I look at the action like you would a foundation, that's where it starts and everything hinges on it's ability to perform function flawlessly. I've had numerous bench guns over the years. Probably the most exotic was a .261x 47 Dietz built on a Remington 700 action that was sleeved. Now that makes for an oversize action and a short action at that. My Remington 40X prepared by Bob Pease fame is a 30/338 mag which is the 338 mag necked down to 30 caliber, and it's built on a short action. If you have a loaded round in the chamber and want to remove it, either shoot it or you have to take bolt and round out as the action is too short for a loaded round to eject. A short action brings a lot of rigidity to the game that a longer action can't. But, I've seen long action rifles also shoot. But if you are a serious paper puncher, you'll start with a short action to eliminate any variables. As it was once said to me- if you think it helps, then it does.

Jimro

Action stiffness only plays a role if you are using the action to bed the rifle.

A lot of folks are turning to a bedding block on the barrel to totally remove the action from the equation, and also gain the advantages of a shorter barrel from a longer barrel. With a 28 inch barrel and a 10 inch bedding block you only have 18" of barrel to whip around, perfect for those who prefer "short and stiff" barrels but need max velocity.

Jimro