Shoots high, and non-adjustable sights - what to do?

ScottRiqui

My Beretta 84BB shoots about 2-3 inches above POA at 10 yards. Groups are nice and tight, so it's not a precision problem, just the fact that POA and POI aren't matching up. I tried three different brands of ammunition, and while some were better than others, they all shot somewhat high.

With fixed sights, do I have any options, or do I just need to aim a bit lower?

AndyWest

2-3in high at 10 yards seems pretty far off to me regardless of ammo... Is it used? Are you against an adjustable rear sight?

ScottRiqui

The gun's about 25 years old, and I bought it used, but it really doesn't look like it's been used much. It groups fine and functions flawlessly.

I'm not against the idea of an adjustable rear, I just hadn't thought of it. With it being an older gun, I didn't think that there would still be replacement parts for it, but I guess rear sights are pretty standard, as long as I get the dimensions of the dovetail correct, right?

As for the loads, I can try faster, but I don't know if I can go much lighter than the 90-95 gn loads I was shooting today. (The gun is a .380, by the way). I have all the dies, bullets and brass - I'm just waiting on another turret plate so I don't have to break down one of my other calibers in order to load .380.

AndyWest

An adjustable rear would be my first idea, but I don't know re: parts and fitting. Have your smith take a quick look at it. Other than sights maybe he can figure it out, maybe an odd barrel fit or something?

Good luck!

ScottRiqui

Thanks for the help - I'll keep shooting it to make sure it's working okay, and have a smith check it out for fit/function and see if he can fit a lower rear sight.

First, though, I think I'll play around with some hand loads and see if I can get POI closer to POA by adjusting the loads.

have someone else shoot it. it's a good bet it's you. i was the same way with my sig. i put everything in the bullseye with my old sig. then i got this one and everything was 4in low. so i handed it to my ex-military buddy. everything right in the middle. i put crimson trace grips on it, so i could watch what was happening during my trigger pull. i was jerking to the same spot every time. the short reset trigger was making me jump all over it. once i figured it out, i corrected my mistake and put them all right where they were supposed to go.

ScottRiqui

Well, I'm certainly not adverse to putting a few hundred more rounds through it while I get it figured out!

I feel like I'm getting a good sight picture and doing everything right, but I know what your'e talking about, since I've had it happen to me before. Plus, I only have about 250 rounds through it so far, so I can't fairly assume it's all the pistol just yet.

wyohusker

Might try a six o clock hold... like the XD uses. Just point at the bottom of your target. I have adjustable sights on my guns and I adjust to a six o clock hold. Front sight stays out of my way of what I am targeting.

carguychris

I have been told that older 80-series Beretta sights were calibrated to hit POA at 50m. This makes them hit 2"-3" high at typical 10-15yd combat ranges. There have been several past threads complaining that these guns hit high by similar amounts.
Aim lower.
^^^This. :)

As I've said in numerous past threads, I greatly prefer a gun that hits high over one that hits low, because if it hits high, I can at least see the target above the sights. It takes some mental adjustment and practice, but after a while, you will find yourself automatically aiming low by the correct amount to put the shot where you want.

380guy

Front sight

Scott,

You need a taller front sight.

Its not uncommon for factory pistols to shoot high. Manufacturer can use lower profile front and alot of shooters take a 6 oclock hold anyway.

+2 inches is managable to me, more is not. My Mustang shot 3-4 inches high at 7 and 10 yds, which is one reason I spent the money to put Novak sights on it. Expensive but worth it. Not sure I would do so for a 2 inch rise.

Take a 6 oclock on a 6 inch targ dot and see if your group is in lower half of target. If so you are probably OK.

farmerboy

If you ever had to use this gun in SD, I don't think it'd matter much if you hit directly in the center of the heart or blowed the top of the heart out. Both would be as good as the other.

carguychris

File your rear sight deeper.
IMHO this is a good suggestion since the Beretta has a replaceable rear sight, so it's not an irreversible modification.

FWIW I've found that matte black plastic model paint is a great way to touch up a filed-down sight. Sharpie markers also work OK in a pinch, but have to be touched up periodically since gun cleaning solvents seem to slowly dissolve the ink.