Shooting with oxygen?

This is a question I've never had to address. A man wants to take his wife shooting at an indoor range. She uses one of the Helios backpack oxygen tanks. She has to be on it at all times, so shooting without it isn't an option.

My gut reaction is that oxygen and combustion don't mix. I could be wrong, though.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with the safety issue?

FlyFish

Evan Thomas

Considering that it's routine to prohibit smoking and open sources of flame where oxygen is being used, it's an interesting question, but I don't know what the actual risk might be.

g.willikers

Oxygen isn't flammable, but it sure promotes anything that is.
The risk would be if the tank would get punctured or a hose would burst.
But ask the range operator what he thinks.
It could be the fire code is the deciding factor.

Glenn E. Meyer

Does the oxygen lead into the area around the shooting?

I've seen sparks off a steel target holder start a fire and I've read of ranges not cleaning up powder that then burns with a spark.

It's possible one could prime a process like that if the O2 got loose.

But ask the range operator what he thinks.
Actually, that's me. I have no clue.

Her doctor doesn't know, and the factory literature simply recommends avoiding sparks and open flame.

I've seen sparks off a steel target holder start a fire and I've read of ranges not cleaning up powder that then burns with a spark.
So have I. That's why many ranges ban the steel core and steel jacket ammo. That said, I have seen small chunks of powder eject from the action and/or muzzle and burn for a second. That's my main concern.

Basically, my answer is no. If I'm wrong, however, I'd like to know.

JD0x0

If you use a portable oxygen breathing machine, you have probably been told not to bring the oxygen within 5 feet of an open flame. This proximity is dangerous not because oxygen is flammable but because oxygen is an accelerator. This means that in order for a substance to burn, it needs oxygen -- or some other strong oxidizing agent -- but the oxygen itself is not what goes up in flames. Rather, oxygen combines with fuel at the right temperature and initiates a chain reaction known as fire.

When using a portable oxygen breathing apparatus, you should always stay far away from any open flames, and you should never light a cigarette or be near smokers. Many people believe that because oxygen is not flammable, it does not pose much risk. Even though the oxygen by itself will not burn and even though a flame may be relatively small, the oxygen will help the flame grow much larger, and you could easily ignite a lethal conflagration. Many insurance companies will not pay for oxygen for smokers because so many accidents have resulted from the small blaze of a cigarette.

Got that from the interwebs.

My view. You probably shouldn't be at an indoor range if you already need help breathing. Even a well ventilated range will have some irritants floating around.
I'd recommend a pellet/airgun at an outdoor range, if possible. It would give the ability to get comfortable shooting a firearm, with minimal danger and health concerns.

Pahoo

Probably not !!!

I'm guessing that the danger, is minimal. I am told that there are folks who use gas stoves for cooking, while using their Oxygen. I for one am not willing to test this use. Before she passed away, last year, my mother was on Oxygen and we would often butt heads on open flames. While working with the company that supplied this equipment, I talked at length with one of their representatives and they were very knowledgeable. Might contact one of these companies and see what kind of input they might give you. I would think that the ambient air flow at a range, would dissipate any concentrations that would feed any flammable material. ... :confused:

As a range officer, you will probably have to side with it's non-use. ... ;)

C.Y.A. and;
Be Safe !!!

natman

I absolutely wouldn't. You can get oxygen saturated in your clothing. It's not a problem unless a spark sets it off. Then it's a major problem. It's amazing how fast and hot things you wouldn't think would burn at all will burn in an oxygen rich environment.

Take a look at this video then decide for yourself.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I've known and shot with a number of trapshooters who were on oxygen.

However, that was out-of-doors, shooting guns with long barrels with other shooters not all that close. Whether shooting indoors with pistols close to other shooters increases the hazards significantly, I have no idea.

DaleA

I do believe I've seen a gentleman with an oxygen tank a few times at a range I sometimes shoot. You could call the range and see what they say and why.

Bill's Gun Shop and Range
3621 88th Avenue NE,
Circle Pines, MN 55014,
763-792-4867

TXAZ

I don't expect it's a problem, it's a relatively small volume. I'd be more worried about being swept by a new shooter.

Jimmy, Dale, Frank: thanks for the insight. I'll let him know, and I'll have him double-check with the manufacturer.

The particulates in the air might be a slight concern, but it looks like the tank is only a problem if something ruptures it. If that happens, we've probably got other things to worry about.

Pond James Pond

My suggestion would be to set up the tank, with the mouthpiece, running gas, and shoot near it: does anything happen?

My guess is not. I suspect that the concentration of oxygen near the muzzle, where any flash of ignition escapes will barely be affected by the oxygen seeping from the mouthpiece-to-face seal. Cylinder gaps would probably be about the same, but simulation first is the safest route.

Skans

The percentage of oxygen in air is roughly 20%. One of these low-flow oxygen delivery systems pumps out about 25%-40% O2. Enough to help with breathing, not enough to cause an explosion or facilitate a fire where there is no open flame. With modern ventilation systems in shooting ranges, I don't believe there is even a remote chance of any higher concentration of O2 reaching a gun's muzzle. Even so, you would be talking a negligible increase in O2 concentrations which wouldn't affect anything.

Even smoking while using one of these isn't dangerous - I watch a family relative do this all the time. However, they don't recommend smoking around one so that the machine stays clean and in good working order. From a range operator's perspective, I wouldn't worry about fires or explosions. I would be concerned that someone who needs one of these could be affected by high concentrations of burnt gunpowder.

I watched the video posted above - all of those examples used pure oxygen.

Last edited:

buck460XVR

I agree, doubt it would be a danger to the range or endanger others there. As far as someone on oxygen not using an indoor range, many times things happen to our health that restrict us from doing things we love. Sometimes the things we love are dear enough to us that the quality of life they give to us is worth losing a small part of life without quality. There are times when pollen/mold content in the outside air is more harmful than any exposure to fumes @ a properly vented indoor shooting range. Let her shoot.

natman

Even smoking while using one of these isn't dangerous - I watch a family relative do this all the time.

Needing oxygen and still smoking? What's wrong with this picture?

The percentage of oxygen in air is roughly 20%. One of these low-flow oxygen delivery systems pumps out about 25%-40% O2......
I watched the video posted above - all of those examples used pure oxygen.
Good point, I stand corrected.