Shooting with a timer

Texpass

It was a first for me at the range on Saturday. It was a very light day and one of the CHL instructors was there and he asked how long it had been since I practiced at the 3 yard range. I asked why he said you are doing fine on your down range shooting but in the likelihood you ever had a close encounter...it will be more than likely up close, something my cousin who is a P.I. had told me. So we began to work on drawing to work on the proper draw and how to fire without the BG taking your gun away. This was very good instuction from and instuctor who is also a self defense instructor and a LEO. What an eye opener! It got more interesting when he put the timer on it. I had three guns I wanted to try and see which I did best with. I had a commander style 1911, S&W 9mil auto and a Rugar LCR. I figured the auto's would win on speed and accuracy...with the target being a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. Trying to hit this without bringing the pistol up to a point and aim, "target stance" brought some interesting issues up. The instructor pointed out to keep both eyes open and don't stick the gun out to full arm extention as you risk the BG possibly getting your weapon before you had a chance to fire. The interesing part of this drill was that I was accurate with all three guns at that range but I could fire the LCR faster than the auto's. I thought this strange. So I must work on this drill more. I finally, after several attempts got the speed up on the auto's, but the splits were still faster on the revolver. Anyone tried this drill recently?

Tex

melchloboo

You are probably beginning the revolver trigger pull while still in recoil, but wait for the gun to settle before your semi-auto trigger pull. I find I am faster with a revolver for that reason.

Ozzieman

You’re lucky to have some one so knowledgeable to help with your shooting, I know I was when the same thing happened to me in the early 80’s.
A good friend with experience carrying a gun while riding trains with Harry Truman in the 40’s did the same type of training with a group of us that used to help him melt lead for his reloading business.
The other thing he would do, and we would never know when, he would have one of those small air canister horns that will just about take your ears off.
We would normally do two targets at under 7 yards and he would paint, draw or tape a picture of a gun on one of the targets. You would stand with your back to the target.
He would tell you one or both and you had to take out the target with the gun first, two rounds each. Normally he would let you get one round off then blow the horn.
The idea was to put distractions, loud noises and stress into the training to see if you could work through them.
The strange thing was that the first 20 or 30 times I practiced this I would shoot the target where the gun was painted more times than center mass, this would require a 3rd round into that target.

Texpass

Yes, very lucky on the good friends. I try and learn and observe everything that goes on the range. I also flew airplanes for over 30 years and I do know that training is indeed your best friend. I did have a few problems over the years and never had a mishap and while the blood pressure was high the traing kicked in, I just want the same thing to take place in case I ever have to defend myself or others with a gun.