Shooting underwater?!

Karanas

I thought I knew the answer to this one, but in recent months I have seen several references that cause me to wonder. Not that I put much stock in any of the questionable shooting techniques hollywood employs in some of their action flicks, but there have been several films lately that have either shown a character firing away underwater (LW4) or made some reference to it, as Tommy Lee Jones did in U.S. Marshalls when he touted the extreme dependability of Glocks, even to the point of being able to fire underwater.
I have seen some references to this capability in some gun magazines, often associated with special ops like Navy SEALS.
When the Army trained me many years ago, my drill instructors made it very clear that pulling the trigger on a firearm with water in the barrel would be disastrous. So what gives? Have I just not kept up with the latest developments, or is all this underwater bang-bang just a lot of (sea) horse-****?

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Actually HK did develop a 5 shot underwater pistol. Go to www.suave.com and click on HK Pro then "Click here to enter the exciting world of HK" to see the underwater pistol, the GR2 series etc. I've also heard over the net that Glock has designed an underwater pistol. Shooting a Glock underwater was discussed here at TFL last fall. Use the search feature as I don't remember exactly when the discussion took place.

buzz riley

I can only pass on some information about firing the Glock submerged. While attending a couple of courses at the Glock facility in GA, they spoke about the issue. The G-17(and only the 9mm model-according to Glock) can be fired underwater after special underwater firing spring cups have been installed. They said a 9mm NATO round would penetrate a 1" pine board at 10' when fired underwater from the G-17. They won't release the parts to the general public, and gave stern warnings against firing any weapon submerged. They stressed it was for trained operators with proper equipment. One of the instructors told a war story of a buddy who had attempted it. It seems the buddy had blood in his urine for a couple days due to the shockwave. This particular instructor told us that the submerged firing feature was to come out of the water firing, or to fire from a position slightly under the surface of the water-engaging a target out of the water(i.e. terrorist dockside or on a boat). I' m just passing the info on, I don't have any personal experience on the matter. Sorry about the length of the response, maybe a true operator can "clear the water" on the issue.

Kodiac

Next time you go swimming take a couple big rocks with you - and while under water, bang them together a few times real hard. You'll feel a lot of concusion. almost painful.
Firing a gun under water would not be the makings of a good day. In LW4 - well, I think Mel would be deaf from the concusion... If it didnt kill him.

------------------

Resistance is Futile

JG

Shockwave is an understatement, I know someone who Scuba dives and he "carried" (past tense) a Glock 17 with the underwater firing pin cups installed for 7 or 8 dives- he finally decided that it was time to test the gun out underwater (Big mistake). No one told him nor did he ask what it was like to fire the gun submerged. Well to make a long story short, he fired off one round. His ears had a pulsating feeling for several days along with a minor ring (saw an ENT 2 times), the thunderous shockwave effects your hearing and groin area the most. His U know what, and groin hurt for several hours. He no longer carries the gun while diving.