Shooting too high?

Deja vu

So it has been a long time sense I went out plinking with hand guns.

While I have never been great with hand guns I was always able to hit targets like pop cans and such at 10-50 yards with out a problem.

Well its been about 2 years and I went out shooting with my oldest boy and did I feel dumb, I seem to be shooting way high with all my pistols, so I am sure its me not the pistols. :eek:

I am pretty accurate left to right but I am constantly shooting about 3 foot high at 25 yards, Does any one have some advise?

Toney D

I started shooting high to. I think its my eyes, do'nt think i can see the pin in the gap anymore. The darker it is the higher i'm shooting

blazeops

I would say improper sight alignment or recoil anticipation without observing you.

Since it has been awhile since you have fired a handgun, I would do some dry firing before firing any rounds. If you have any dummy rounds or snap caps, mix them in your magazine's while shooting at 25 yards to see if your front sight is moving before the break.

stevieboy

I don't have the best vision in the world and no amount of correction gives me a perfectly clear picture of the front sight. I tend at times to shoot a bit high (more like 3" at 25 yards as opposed to 3') because I tend to tip the front sight up just a tiny bit above the plane made by the rear sight blades. That's because, subconsciously, I'm "searching" for the front sight when I aim and I can see the little bump caused by the front sight being above the plane of the rear sight blades. I'm ok, however, if I keep reminding myself not to do that.

zippy13

Straight up (or down) misses may be do to breaking your wrist at the last instant. You could try blazeops' suggestion about dry firing and put some more effort into your follow through.

TylerD45ACP

Go on google and type in Pistol Shooting Chart. It will tell you what your doing wrong where your rounds are hitting. I used to heel and sometimes use too much pinky, the chart helped me to stop doing that.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
What time of the day were you shooting and in what direction. Ligh on a sight can make it look smaller so you aim high, looking into the sun will make you go high, old eyes and narrow sights will make it harder for you to see the sights and you will go high.

My old H&R 922 revolver and my brothers Ruger single 6 revolver both have tall thin sights and I have eyes not quite as sharp as they were 30 years ago. A dab of red nail polish or whiteout on the sight to make it contrast not only brings my sight back down but tightens up my group.

By the way dry firing is a good idea anyway, especially if you have been away from handguns for awhile. Time to develop the hand eye coordination and muscle memory again. As much as I shoot I still have to go back and refresh the concentration muscle in my pointy little head.

Buzzcook

3 feet high at 25yds is a lot.

What gun are you shooting? is Recoil a problem?

I'm in Stevieboy's camp. Because of my eye sight I tend to lose the front sight, so I let it creep up too high. That sends my shots about 4" high at 25yds.

Try bringing the front sight down till you can just see it in the notch.

44 AMP

Staff

I would disagree. The the top of the front sight should be level with the top of the rear sight, and centered in the notch. Put your target on the top of the front sight, and shoot.

If you are still shooting high using this sight picture, you have a couple of options;

Practice until you are not pulling your shots high (assuming you are),

Adjust your rear sight, or if you are using a fixed sight gun, ....

aim low

:D

Deja vu

I decided to suck it up and say hell with my pride and go to a local hand gun training class that was offered yesterday evening (its a 3 week class). The guy said that I was holding the grip too low so I moved that up and then he said I was limp writing it as well... so after about 90 min of shooting and 3 boxes of ammo I seem to be doing much better. He also says I am shooting to much gun and I need to practice my way up again to larger calibers again after my wrist surgery.

I guess I should attend the other 2 classes as well because I payed $90.00 for it, at least the one so far seems to help.

thanks for the help

Buzzcook

I would disagree. The the top of the front sight should be level with the top of the rear sight, and centered in the notch. Put your target on the top of the front sight, and shoot.

44 AMP: With the problem I'm speaking to you loose sight of the front sight before it reaches level with the rear sights. Lowering the front sight slowly into the rear notch helps keep the front sight in focus longer.

Deja Vu: Lessons rarely hurt anyone and most people actually get lots better.