Shooting the M1A for the first time.

BrittB

Pictures speak for theirselves. This rifle has very little kick and is a true honest to God tack driver. 100 yards dead center of the target and you could connect the dots on the other shots. Holly Cow!!!

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

BrittB

I think he said, (my son) it's a match grade. We also were shooting some NATO rounds through it. It's quite possibly the nicest shooting rifle I've ever shot although that Weartherby Mark V .460 WM was awlful nice, the M1A doesn't beat up your shoulder. That why this rifle bumps up to near the top. Only downside is the weight. My Winchester 70 in 300 Win Mag is still tops although the scope on the M1A is the best scope I've ever used IMHO. The only drawback we had yesterday was not having enough ammo to last all day long! I would love to shoot it again soon. For what it's worth, we were both shooting a Winchester model 94 and hitting the 100 yard reactive target down range with no problem. The M1A was fun because it was like shooting a 10/22 on steroids. Semi auto rifles of any kind are a lot of fun!

Me shooting it!
DSC_0030.jpg

Showing back but no butt crack!
DSC_0031.jpg

My son shooting his rifle. Off to his right is a book with all his adjustments recorded along with weather, wind, and barometeric pressures.
DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

madcratebuilder

Get a steel target and some German surplus, you well be ringing steel out to 500yds all day long. You lucky guys on the east side, lots of places to shoot, hard to find anyplace over a 200yds on blm land here on the west side.

ndking1126

That's awesome! the M1A is one rifle I haven't shot yet but sure want to. I did shoot a silcenced M110 which was a lot of fun.

BrittB

Currenty, we are down in So Cal but will be back to rain country by the end of the week. It's a nice shooter, that's for sure and if you ever get a chance to shoot one, do it!

C0untZer0

I don't have a ton of experience with the M1A but I've always thought it was just an all-around great rifle. Not trying to start a debate but I've always thought it's more versatile than the AR or AK platform. It does everything from hunting big game, sniping, TEOTWAWKI scenarios - HD/SD.... and it's a tough combat-proven battle rifle.

BrittB

Yes it is a Trijicon. Oh boy, I just noticed that I mispelled the word shooting. Awkward!

Last edited:

oneoldsap

M1A-M-14

I shot army matches back in the early seventies , with match grade M-14s . No optics , or bi pods . But if you could shoot the rifle would always do it's part ! The Lake City match is a good load .

BrittB

A rifle like that would sure make life easy if doing competition was your thing. Otherwise, it makes you feel your a better shooter than you really are.