Shooting peeps high?

Coop de Ville

Anyone else shoot high with peeps?

Last two trips to the range with my 336 and AO peeps I'm shooting real high. I called them and they said to get them a measure and they'd see if they could get me a different sight. I am shooting ~3-4" high @ 25 yds. and a good 6" or so high @ 50 yds.

Switched rifles with my friend and shot his AK-47 high and he shot my 336 a little lower than me.......

Why I am I shooting peeps high?

I get real close and let the rear fuzz out... Am I missing something?

-Coop

Slopemeno

Are you using both their rear and front sights? The reason I ask is because with Williams receiver sights you have to install a taller front sight.

If your friend is "on" with your marlin, try blacking your sight out with spray-on "sight-black" so you get the sharpest sight picture possible. That stuff really works on pistol sights.

chris in va

I'll venture to say you might not know how to shoot with peeps properly.

You don't get THAT close to the rear sight, a few inches away. The front post has to be centered in the middle of the 'ghost' ring, not at the bottom or top.

Or, they could just need sighting in.

Does it look like the middle picture, pretty much?
sightcompwebsm1.jpg

Picher

Because the peep sight is higher than the original rear sight, the front sight needs to be at least .09" higher than the present one to hit 6" lower at 50 yards. Some people will shoot peeps a little different than others.

Sometimes eyeglasses can cause the peep hole to appear out of shape and cause a slightly different sight picture. A smaller aperture can remedy that problem somewhat, but will cause a dimmer sight picture. After getting a new front sight, just sight in for your eyes/glasses and it should be okay.

When ordering, note the height measurement is usually from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the post or center of the aperture. Front posts are generally better for hunting and front apertures better for targets.

Picher

wjkuleck

You don't get THAT close to the rear sight, a few inches away.

Tough to do with, say, an AR ;) . Actually, I believe you should be getting as close to the aperture as is prudent. The optical & physiological principles behind the aperture sight indicate the closer your eye to the aperture, the more likely it is that the pupil will center itself in the optical field. You should not be aware of the presence of the aperture at all.

Just to confirm, you are getting your results with the rear sight adjusted to its bottom limit? And, that the top of the front sight post is in the center of your visual field?

Regards,

Walt

Coop de Ville

Thanks all for the help.

I ordered the express sights as a set that was made for the 336, so I'm assuming they are the correct height.

My friend is not "on", just closer than me... which is why I want to believe it's me. When I started with the AR a buddy told me I should get my nose right pushed up on the charging handle, so the rear peep pretty much disappears.

I started wearing contacts to eliminate the possible effect of glasses.

I will try to back off the rear sight a bit and duplicate the pics above. I will also black out the front sight.

Thanks again.

-Coop

Picher

Okay, so the sights may be the right ones.

Unless you start shooting lower than +6" at 50 yards, you'll probably want to lower the rear sight about .086" to sight in for that distance.

Picher

CraigC

Use a normal sighting position, whatever is comfortable for you, you don't have to scrunch up on it. If your sights came in a front/rear set they are probably the right height. Is the new front sight taller than the factory front sight? If not it should be. Are you centering the top of the post in the aperture? Are you placing the target atop the front sight post? Where is your rear sight adjusted, all the way up, all the way down, in the middle?

Coop de Ville

Yes, they came together as the set. I have the rear set almost all the way down. I hold the top of the post under the target. I shot at he NRA range in VA and used the sight in target. Look like 1 inch squares gridded with an orange center bullseye. The outside border is heavy black.

I hold the top of the post under the lower boarder, so that the whole 12 inch targets sits atop. My rounds are striking 3 inches or more above the bullseyes at 25 yards.

I really think I just can't shoot peeps :eek:

-Coop

I do have the Williams peep.. I wonder if it's lower than the Express sights. I could mix and match, but I wanted to co witness these with a scout mount and scope later on.

CraigC

If you're getting a respectable grouping, it might not be your fault. Could be they just provided the wrong front sight. They make plastic sight-in posts that are perforated to cut at regular intervals. Get them to send you a package of those so you can trim it to zero and then order the proper height front sight.