Shooting outdoors in Texas

LightningJoe

Range fees in my area are about $20 without a membership. I remember as I young man in North Dakota, my friends and I would just go out in the countryside and shoot with a hill* or something as a backstop. I don't know if we were breaking any laws or not.

Can't I just go out into the "country" in Texas and shoot a gun at a paper plate or something?

*There's only one hill in ND, so everybody had to share

fisherman66

The Garland Public Range charges $10 for a non-expiring membership and $10 per visit. It's one of the most reasonable ranges in the metroplex. You may bring your own ammo with only a ban on FMJ handgun bullets.

Bitmap

an't I just go out into the "country" in Texas and shoot a gun at a paper plate or something?

You can, if you own the land or have the owners permission. If not, don't try it.

7712drb

Ditto on the Garland Public Shooting Range. I've been going there for over 25 years. I drive by it to and from work and sometimes it is really crowded. You really have to pick your times. If you want to shoot indoors check out the Bullet Trap in Plano at 2608 Avenue K. Just google it for a map. Good luck!

SamHouston

I shoot at the Bass Pro Shop fn Grapevine for $8 per visit. Isn't there one out your way now?

I would not tresspass on private property to shoot, might get you shot in Texas. You might be able to find someone in the country and get permission. If you were in far west Texas you could probably get by with shooting on remote lands but probably not North TX

tplumeri

You can, if you own the land or have the owners permission. If not, don't try

+1
but even then youll bring the law out visiting if neighbors complain.
I was getting a winchester 1905 ready for shipping and couldnt determine if there was one in the pipe. (first time i ever handled this gun and the clipe was 4 out of 5)
took it out back and fired off the chambered round into a sand trap.
twenty minutes later the sheriff was there,
seems a hiker reported gunfire!

DesertDawg

It's a crying shame that, as big as Texas is, there isn't that much "open" range for recreational shooters to use. Here in So Cal, we have Bureau of Land Management areas that are vast and completely open for shooting, camping and off-road driving....and it's FREE!

Anyway, I have a buddy that lives in Hillsboro, and I think that he still has a place to shoot. It was a commercial range at one time, but it's now vacant. It may be available, but I'll check with him and get back to you.

Gbro

It isn't hard to identify a place in MN where people shoot for free.
It looks just like another land fill. People are slobs, It sickening.
I only go when I have time to fill several bags of garbage.
I now have my own personal range at the lake cabin. 100yds, but its mine!

TxPhantom

Shooting in N. Texas

Places to shoot in the rural communites of Texas are fairly plentiful but for us poor slobs that live in and around the larger cities, the options are poor.
There used to be a great outdoor gun range within six to eight minutes from my house in Frisco, Tx, (a N. Dallas subburb) called The Back Woods Traps. They were bought out by a developer since land values had risen enough to make it profitable for the owners to sell.
Then we started going to The Collin Co. Gun Range on the north side of McKinney. It was closed down by a liberal judge so the McKinney airport could get the land cheaply,IMHO (long story! :mad:).
Now we go to The Bullet Trap, a indoor range in Plano, Tx. Not too bad for a indoor range but about a 45 minute drive from my house. With yearly membership it only costs $7.50 for a range fee. They have a fairly good selection of rentals & new & used firearms at competitive prices, with friendly personell. I bought my S & W, M & P, 9mm, compact, a S.A. Micro Compact 1911 and a CZ 75B satin nickle from them.
I tried to go to the Garland Gun Range once, on a weekend. Too busy, so I turned around and went back to the bullet Trap.:cool:

shinnery jim

sorry guys, I live in a tiny little town in north central Texas, and have friends who have land so I can go out and shoot. love it. take my son and daughter and go shooting, maybe a few of their friends, great fun and nothing better to spend a day doing.:D

bikerbill

there was a case recently near my home about 30 miles north of Austin; a guy was shooting in his backyard in a rural area; one of the rounds went next door and killed a little kid playing outdoors. the shooter, of course, is in jail, and the county is cracking down on outdoor shooting which used to be fairly common. If I owned a lot of property, I'd set up my own range. Absent that, I'd stick to commercial ranges. Lots safer for the neighbors.

rb4browns

Then we started going to The Collin Co. Gun Range on the north side of McKinney. It was closed down by a liberal judge so the McKinney airport could get the land cheaply,IMHO (long story! ).
Now we go to The Bullet Trap, a indoor range in Plano, Tx. Not too bad for a indoor range but about a 45 minute drive from my house. With yearly membership it only costs $7.50 for a range fee. They have a fairly good selection of rentals & new & used firearms at competitive prices, with friendly personell. I bought my S & W, M & P, 9mm, compact, a S.A. Micro Compact 1911 and a CZ 75B satin nickle from them.
I tried to go to the Garland Gun Range once, on a weekend. Too busy, so I turned around and went back to the bullet Trap.

+1 on the Bullet Trap. Nice gun shop.

aerod1

I like the Garland Public Shooting Range! The prices are resonable, $10.00 for all day and you can move from the rifle, to the handgun and shotgun ranges by just telling the RO so they can move your card at no extra charge. They run a tight ship and safety is the of utmost concern. They are very nice people!:)

RebelKangaroo

The Bullet Trap is good, but Bass Pro is only 15 minutes from me and $8 an hour. The only problem is that it's pretty crowded on the weekends.