Shooting my 686P

Wayward_Son

I purchased my 686P 4" about a month ago. Today was my fourth day shooting it. It has now had 600 rounds through it, half .38 and half .357.

This gun is a hoot! I'm in love. At first I was shooting all over the place with it, and had to figure out how to adjust the sights to bring my grouping towards the bullseye. It was shooting way low and right, and I have the windage blade adjusted almost all the way to the left to get it to group around the 'eye. It was fairly far to the right when I purchased it.

Beyond the sight adjustment, simple practice with the gun has brought my groupings in a bit tighter. I am not a marksmen, but I'd like to be one. :eek: The gun possesses far more accuracy than I am capable of delivering, but I'm getting noticeable better, even on only my fourth trip to the range. I have fired from both a rest and a standing position.

Today was my best day with the gun yet. My second day was the second best, my third day was the third best. Today I had first shot my brand-new Marlin 1894CB .357 for the first time, and was giddy. When I got to the pistol range I was really thinking about the rifle. This will probably sound too hippyish or whatever to some people here, but I think I was getting some good zen moments with my pistol today. I was shooting without really thinking about it. I was only consciously paying attention (and really only slightly, as opposed to super-focused on every minute detail) to the very basics: bring the gun up, sight just under the intended target, squeeze the trigger. I was grouping better than before and I nailed six or seven shots within the inner white ring (which I consider good shooting, for me). I was shooting at 15 yards. Everything seemed more fluid, less stressed, and more automatic. It seemed I was thinking about the shot less and just letting my body and subconscious and surface-conscious mind make the decisions. Everything just kind of came together. For a karate guy, it was a thrilling, satisfying, gratifying and eye-opening experience. It felt like zen shooting. And the coolest part is that I can only improve from here! :cool: Comparing shooting to my Shotokan training, I can say that I see that shooting is something that requires hard practice and will eventually occur with "instinct" or "without thought or effort" as the muscle memory is developed and the movements, adjustments and aiming become subconscious rather than conscious.

Alright, enough hippy, new-agey talk for one thread.

I had a great day at the range, both with my long gun (first time) and my handgun (fourth time).

On top of that I lined my wallet with $200 side money replacing a friend's clutch, saw some good friends, ate some good food, drank some good beer. It's been one hell of a good day! :D

Prince55

Sounds like Heaven on earth. Hope you have many more Great days with
the Smith & Wesson. They're tough to beat.