Shooting My 617

AzShooter

uQl6SW7.jpg

I got to shoot my Smith & Wesson .22 caliber 617 today. I really like this 10 shot gun and am now shooting it for Steel Challenge matches instead of my Black Mamba.

At 69, I'm more into having fun and comradery than score but I still want to do the best I can so today's practice session was to improve my spit times and accuracy.

Although I've shot this gun with a 6.5 pound trigger and can get 100% ignition with Federal HV Gold ammo I want to be able to shoot everything I have or can find these days. I put in a new mainspring and 12 pound rebound spring. The rebound spring was changed because I was outrunning the trigger a few times giving me a click instead of a fired round.

It's now set at 9 pounds minimum and averages 9.5 and will fire each brand I've tested. Today I shot Blazers and Federal BYOB and had no failure after firing 300 rounds.

My spits still need work but I'm down to .25 seconds. I'll dry fire a lot to try to improve that. Accuracy was excellent, hitting an 8 inch Shoot & See target every time at 15 yards rapid fire.

ciwsguy

dry-firing on an empty chamber?

Assumption here is you are dry during on an empty chamber. If you're using snap caps or empty brass casings, them please disregard.
I don't dry fire my 617 without spent cartridge casings in all the chambers. Dry firing on an empty chamber will damage (ping) the cylinder. This gun is too expensive to risk ruining the cylinder.

AzShooter

I use #6 yellow wall anchors for all my dry firing with the 617. I would never do it without some kind of caps but thanks for the warning.