Shooting Long distance without mil-dots?

Dave3006

If you do not have mil-dots or target style adjustment knobs on your scope, how do you shoot long distance?

For example, you have a hunting scope zero'd with your 30-06 at 200 yards. At 300 yards you are 9" low. At 400 yards you are 24" low. At 500 yds you are 50" low.

Most targets and situations don't allow for this type of hold over. It is hard to judge 50" of sky. Is there a way to do this I am not aware of?

Thanks.

CITADELGRAD87

If you have a duplex reticle, you can figure the distance between the "fat" parts at various ranges, also from the fat part to the center, using these "formulas," I have hit relatively small targets at 700 yards.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Stipulating you know the distance: In the field, if it's a deer you are looking at, you should know how tall is a deer in your area. That means that if your deer is four feet tall at the shoulder, you hold one deer high at 500 yards. (Good luck on windage.) If you don't know the exact range, out at 400 to 500 yards, don't shoot--you don't need gut shots and broken legs.

At a target range, since you're in no hurry and you know how many clicks is how many inches at that distance, just adjust your scope accordingly.

FWIW, Art

El Rojo

Invest in a good electronic rangefinder. I bought the Bushnell Yardage Pro 600. I was scoping some pigs the other day and I knew they were 560 yards away. No questions asked, no guestimation, just plain 560 yards away. What more could you ask for when the game doesn't know you are there and you have time?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Rojo! I wuz waiting 'til somebody brought that up. At some point, though, my imagination shows me "Mr. Tech", with his rifle, binocs, rangefinder, infra-red "Game Finder", canteen, fanny pack, ammo belt with 40 rounds plus sidearm, pockets full of thises and thatses--and a motorized wheelchair to get around in...Are we hunting deer, or humpin' in the boonies?

I have a Bushnell 800...

:), Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited September 19, 2000).]

STLRN

LRF are great pieces of gear, but are electronic and as such they can and will fail. They need batteries, which s less of an issue if only hunting. They can also give false ranges in dusty, rainy or foggy conditions.

El Rojo

Until mine fails, I find that being able to tell exact distance works as a really good teacher tool. Before I really had no idea and sort of just didn't know. Now I know and when I know, I get better at being able to tell just about how far it is from dead reckoning.

HankL

Art, I got a great stock quote on my laptop hooked up to my cell phone while changing the batteries in my Bushnell 1000 last November when I was in my stand. I took a video of two buck fighting at 750 yards but when all of my batteries crapped out I had to draw my pistol and shoot the deer that was standing under my stand laughing is butt off!