Shooting gloves

gaseousclay

What do you guys use for shooting gloves? I’m thinking the primary use for me will be for my ar so that I don’t burn my hands on the barrel. I’d like gloves that can take a beating and not fall apart at the seams, but also thin enough that I can use with my pistol. Any brands fit this bill? Any brands I should avoid?

Sharkbite

During my time working overseas, i tried all kinds of gloves. Oakley, Blackhawk, you name it. I settled on mechnix brand. They are thin enough to be usable and cheap enough that when you wear em out, you dont feel a punch in your wallet.

AzShooter

Today for the first time I used a pair of motorcycle gloves with the fingers missing. I was surprised at how comfortable they are and will continue using them.

I bought them because I'm in a wheelchair and moving across the range loaded with rocks my hands get real cut up by the end of the day. Today I had no such problems. I even held the gun better during the Steel Challenge Match.

Pahoo

Batter's Gloves

All of what I call, shooting gloves, are "fingerless". Is this a requirement for you?

Never been a fan of any type of shooting gloves. I don't want to be dependent on anything on my hands.

As I become more "Vintage", I need more support and protection so I wear them when shooting magnums. I also wear them on hot days when handling M/L's as the fabric/leather wicks the perspirations away and improves the grip.

I use a variety of gloves and most, if not all, are batters gloves and never paid all that much for them. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

TXAZ

Unless it’s friggggggggging cold I’m not a glove guy. (Then I wonder why I’m outside in the cold)

gaseousclay

I’m not keen on fingerless gloves, mainly because they would be for ar use. I need that extra protection in case the barrel gets hot

pete2

I use gloves in the winter for skeet/sporting. I recently bought a pair of Mechanix gloves to use with a G19 as it eats my trigger finger. They protect my finger but the grip with them is less than desirable. Gloves that fit tighter might be the answer if made of thin material. maybe sell the Glock.

Pahoo

What's in a name ???

I’m not keen on fingerless gloves, mainly because they would be for ar use. I need that extra protection in case the barrel gets hot
I get it now; you are not looking for shooting gloves, you are wanting hand protection from holding a warm/hot barrel. Not quite the same. Go to you local Harbor-Freight and look at their selection of work gloves. They range from light to heavy. I us a light set when cleaning some fire arms and basically they are like an extra layer of skin. You get added protection without losing much feel. They don't last long in my use but very reasonable.

I don't have any experience with "Tactical" glove but my buddy who is a security guard, swears by them. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Mike38

You may want to check the rules before wearing gloves. In Precision Pistol (Bullseye Pistol) gloves are not legal. So if you train with gloves, then get told at a match you can't wear them, it could ruin your day. I don't know about other shooting sports disciplines, maybe gloves are legal?

FITASC

I shoot shotgun, and for clays I use golf gloves year-round; keeps the finger from getting burned with my SxS, keeps my sweat off the nice wood and helps keep them warm in the wointer.

I use gloves when shooting 1911s that have checkered front straps (which I consider to be an abomination), to protect my hands. I use fingerless (actually half-finger) bicycling or weight lifting gloves from Walmart.

If you want full fingers for the heat protection, I second the suggestion to use mechanics gloves. They are designed and intended to protect the fingers while providing as much dexterity as possible.

Last edited:

DMK

During my time working overseas, i tried all kinds of gloves. Oakley, Blackhawk, you name it. I settled on mechnix brand. They are thin enough to be usable and cheap enough that when you wear em out, you dont feel a punch in your wallet.
Gloves are kind of a necessity when shooting AKs or using direct thread suppressors. I use Mechanix gloves too. They protect your hands from hot stuff and sharp edges, but are thin enough for dexterity to load mags and manipulate safeties.

I keep three pair in my range bag. (Sometimes I get them wet and muddy. It's nice to have an extra dry pair)

Shadow9mm

only time i have worn gloves for shooting is in the winter, as I go to an outdoor range. I like Mechanix gloves. Going any thicker makes things difficult for me, and they take the bite out of the wind.