Shooting from Barricade

Guy B. Meredith

What is the best approach when shooting a revolver from vertical barricade--door, wall, etc., for PPC, IPSC? I
would assume that a barricade is a plus as it can be used as a rest, but I shoot LOUSY from
barricade and need some advice. Supporting hand against the barricade (ouch!)? Weaver stance
around edge? What?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
This all depends on the total situation.
In some cases I will brace the gun against the barricade - kinda hooking the trigger guard and frame on the wood. This makes for a SOLIC rest - but you will have the gun canted 30 or so degrees. Sometimes this is okay - sometimes it isnt. When it isnt - such as long range target or there is some metal on the baricade (dont wanna scratch up my hogleg ya' know!) Then I will just lean a little around it and shoot modified weaver... Bracing the back of my hand on the baricade - depending on which side it is on.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

Chuck Ames

Guy,

I like George's bracing technique, but found that it can take an extra second to get into and acquire the front sight. I tried it for the first time during a qual a few months ago, and like it if I have time.

Personally though, I prefer to keep my weapon and hands off the barricade. During quals we were required to shoot from 25 meters right and left side barricade and taught to put the back of the hand on it. I found that my mind switched from the target to my hand, and that it was hard to concentrate.

I now approach a barricade as if I were pieing an area, and use the cover, but don't touch it. Depending on the circumstances, i.e. amount of room I have, I will shoot isosceles with a little lean, or a modified weaver if space is tight. My accuracy hasn't suffered appreciably, and both my time and focus are better. Plus, commonality of techniques is both simple and effective.

Chuck

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Chuck - thats why I said it depends on the situation... in a fast acting situation - Use my second method:
Sight - Aquire - Fire...
:)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 07, 1999).]

Dad2Jane

As with any method of shooting... find what works BEST for you and then practice, practice, practice!

Also, NEVER, EVER, have the ejection port blocked by the barricade...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Dave9

When I first started shooting IDPA matchs
I would crowd the barricade and my shooting would suffer .

Now I "slice the pie" with the muzzle of my pistol always behind the edge of the barricade.

To me this requires very little if anything in the alteration of my normal shooting stance.

Red Bull

I am a real beginner in this area, but at an IDPA course they taught me to stay back from the barricade and shoot from my normal stance, leaning out and keeping as much body behind the barricade as possible.
They told me that the reason to keep every thing, including my hands and my muzzle, back from the corner of the wall, is that: #1) bullets that hit the barracade (if someone is shooting back) can follow the wall right into your hands and gun, so you have a higher chance of being hit, which is exactly the opposite reason for using a barricade. #2) bullets that hit the edge of the barricade deflect off at an angle toward you. The closer you are to the barricade, the slighter the angle and the higher chance of you being hit.
So, if you want to be tactically correct, stand back from the edge of the barricade a bit, and lean out around it, exposing as little of yourself as possible, using NONE of the barriceade for support, just protection.

I do shoot amazingly well though from a rest against a verticle corner. So, if I needed to make a really precise shot and had time, I would use it. I was taught though to NEVER ever let any portion of your actual pistol touch anyhing but your hands. I am not sure I was taught this, but I will say that when I have put my gun itself against anything hard to shoot it, the effect is not good. I would be glad to hear discussion on this, because maybe I was taught wrong. I was taught: From your normal grip, put the back of either hand against the barricade as a rest. Works for me.
Another method is to use your support hand and put it up on the barricade as a rest, palm against the barricade. Like a Policeman signaling a car to "stop" you have your arm out, palm out forward, and your fingers all straight up and your thumb out to the side. The palm and fingers go against the wall and your thumb sticks out at a 90 degree angle. This is your support a you lean forward against the corner of the wall. Put the muzzle of your pistol in the crook of your thumb and use that as your support. This is slow but is very acurate for precise shots (for me anyway).

It is good to point out things that seem obvious, like "never block the ejection port". Sometimes until you try it, the obvious things aren't so obvious.
When I started shooting an IDPA course, there was a barricade and three pepper poppers. When the timer went, I popped out around the left-side barricade and started engaging the three targets from left to right. OOPS. Very tactically incorrect. The barricade was on my left, and as I came out around it I was supposed to engage the targets from right to left, as they appeared as I sliced the pie. I am glad for things like the IDPA, because you really need to try this stuff out against some pressure (the time clock) before you think you know how to shoot tactically. It is easy to make a really stupid mistake.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited December 07, 1999).]

johnboy

Retired Screen Name
Red Bull, you got it! Do not rest against the barricade, be behind and to the side (cover your body!). Barricades screwed me up until I realized you were not to rest against them.

Use them to your advantage! Unless you have a box to stand in, stay back about a yard or so. Can hit targets on either side if you are back a bit.

Johnboy

JackNKoch

Like Red Bull said, don't crowd the barricade. This is more for actual defensive shooting than games, but we should keep it real as much as possible even in practice. By staying back from cover the ejection port " problem" is no longer a problem. Your field of vision also decreases more and more the closer one gets to the barricade. I have read that placing the barrel of a revolver against the barricade will not affect the practical accuracy. I use the back of the wrist approach when I feel the need to brace against a tree or wall. Don't forget to remove your wrist watch first though. :)

Blue Heeler

The first thing to do is get your body position right.And that means comfortable.
Have a look at how the other guys are standing---pretty odd some times.See what the
best shooters are doing--and copy it.This applies to all aspects of the match.
For me I stand at comfortable arms length,
feet together and relaxed. I put very little
pressure on the barricade and keep the gun
clear--lightly resting on the supporting hand
and only tensing the muscles needed.
After that it's the same routine--Sight
picture--Trigger control and Follow through.
Practice is valuable--dry fire lots.
Good Luck