Shooting critters in my back yard

Kathryn

I have an 18.5 inch and 28 inch barrel. What is my reasonable range? How far of a buffer zone should I take into consideration for my neighbors' houses? Shotguns are hard on my shoulder, so I shoot mine rarely.

TIA!

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hopefully someone has the exacts, but IIRC, birdshot (7 & 1/2s and up) are OK to about 200 yards. It would not surprise me if slugs and buckshot impact zones are close to 3/4s of a mile. Or more..

Giz

MiniZ

Shotgun pellets can travel up to 500 yards depending on trajectory/load/etc. They probably aren't lethal at that range, but a shower of lead pellets may chap the neighbors.

Slugs can travel up to 1/2 a mile, once again depending on trajectory/load/etc.

These aren't set in stone guidelines, just something to consider.

Zane

Kathryn

OK, so I'll get some bird shot, and make sure my trajectory is down into the dirt on my property. 500 yards is too far. My property is only 50 feet wide (my expected range), and although there are no houses behind for quite a ways, there are cows, horses and barns. I wouldn't be happy with my neighbors shooting up their backyards either, but I just lost my poultry flock and won't get another until the coyotes are eradicated. They moved in this winter.

So I should use the shorter barrel? Assume two or three coyotes pay me a visit at one time. Think there are a half a dozen.

scouter27

Coyotes are smart. I would suggest the longer barrell, and an electronic caller. The mouth calls take a long time to learn, and after you shoot one, the others may need some coaxing to return. There is lots of good information about coyotes on other websites, so I won't get into any more detail

Lavan

If you can SEE a house...

and it is where you live, I will PROMISE you that one of your fine neighbors will call the cops.
The cops will take your gun. You will go to court. This is a favorite arrest.....no risk....dedicated witness....sure conviction.
I have a customer who can no longer own guns. Same "violation." And.......surprise......although the law provides for relief of disability to own a firearm, congress in their infinite wisdom saw to it that funds are not available for "relief" investigations. So he is screwed forever.
Do NOT shoot a gun in your yard unless you have 50 acres. Do not shoot a BLANK either. Both can be "discharging a firearm in an inhabited area."
Not worth the chance.
Get a good airgun and have fun.

Lavan

Whoops....

missed the coyote problem. Same story. YOU can't shoot the coyotes. ANIMAL CONTROL can. Or trap em. Or arrest em. Or give em a stern lecture......BUT.........YOU can't shoot in an inhabited area.
There is a possibility that you could call your county and get PERMISSION to eradicate pests.

But to take an independent, responsible, action to protect your property? Why, that's un-American.

KSFreeman

Ahhh, come one, not even on the ErrorNet. Someone became a convicted felon over a silly ordinance violation??? Had to be more than just simple discharge. If not, hope his attorney was disciplined for malpractice.

Sounds like you have the incorrect tool. How about one of those big Beeman "err raffles" (a little Hoosier lingo) in .25? Or, why not use a suppressed .22 for shooting critters in the backyard? You can aim it preciously and have only one projectile to control.

Remember rule #4 (target and backstop) when you discharge any firearm (or luftgewehr).

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Luckily, here in SC, anything that kills your livestock is fair game. IIRC, harassment of your livestock is a capital offense as well.

A shotgun works good for 'yotes, the folks I know who shoot/shot bunches like #4 buck. A good .22 may be less obtrusive.

Kathryn, I'll try and find some documented max ranges for various loads tonight. Work beckons.

Giz

Ledbetter

Zorro--I like your style

Crossbow might be ideal, especially with a laser sight installed :evilgrin:

I have used a Crossman pump airgun on possums and raccoons with only a little success. More successful is a Ruger MkII with 6 7/8" barrel firing CB ammo. Mine has a streamlight scorpion and a beamshot laser sight mounted on it. I don't know how well the CBs would work on coyotes.

Edited to add that I can't stop thinking about running down to Big 5 and picking out a nice crossbow.

Regards.:D

Kathryn

Some responses:

I would be thrilled to let Animal Control get 'em. Last time I called them, they suggested I put up a scare crow. Five ducks & one goose later... no I did not put up the scare crow! I'm not a blooming idjit!

I also do not want to start a hobby of this, would like it all behind me. I'm not very much in practice with rifle and am concerned with the rifle's range anyway. Don't need to be too accurate with shotgun at 50 ft. ;)

Would love to get an electronic call, nay, borrow an electronic call. Any volunteers out here? What if I borrow a neighbor's mean rooster and cage it with chicken wire?

What if I sit in the cab of my pickup and wait? I'll be downwind. Do I need further concealment? What about the gun's barrel?

Unfortunately, they've stopped paying me nightly visits.

Appreciate your comments!

My brother shoots a 410 around his house. His neighbor looks over and he shouts, "Woodpecker!" to which she smiles and waves back. Most of the time, he's truthful.

Dead

FRom what I remember 000 Buck will go about 660 yards(which travels the fartherest). Slugs will not travel as far as 000 buck. I will have to look this up though, if I can find the book

C.R.Sam

Kathryn, my condolances re losing your flock. Cyotes and geese really hit home.....hard.

Given your situation, I can not see a legal way to solve the problem. Also, the cyotes probably won't come to an empty table unless you get real good at callin them in. Pickup or car should do well for a blind. They will associate the vehicle with people but not with danger. Untill they have lost a few kin to the truck that shoots.

I would try to work with all your neighbors and if there are none that object; then see if local powers that be will give you special dispensation to ding cyotes that threaten your stock. Should have witness with you during all discussions and get as much in writing as possible. If you are lookin at 50' and under range, birdshot should do well.

If none of your stock are climbers or flyers, a low platform with a trap baited with whatever might work. Would nail more cats than cyotes tho.

Good luck with your problem. Sam

HankB

1. It's hard to "eradicate" coyotes. Ranchers have been trying to for 100's of years. Best you can hope for is to keep their numbers down. Ranchers use poison.

2. Don't rely on this forum for advice on the legality of shooting coyotes on your own property. Check local laws for yourself.

3. Crossbows are quiet. Spring piston "magnum" air rifles are quiet. A shotgun is not.

4. You might consider a dog. Train it to protect your stock.