Shooting 45 ACP from a 410 shotgun?

Last Escape Pod

It is my understanding that a shotgun that can fire 410 gauge shells as well as 45 Long Colt.

Is there anyway to safely fire 45 ACP from 410 shotgun? I know that 45 ACP lacks the rim needed to prevent it from sliding down the barrel, but perhaps there could be a shotgun equivalent of a revolver moon clip.

I think it would be neat having a double barrel, break action shotgun that could fire 410, 45 LC, and 45 ACP.

zippy13

I think it would be neat having a double barrel, break action shotgun that could fire 410, 45 LC, and 45 ACP.
It only works if you have a bowling ball in your mouth at the time.

FYI: .451>.410

oneounceload

It is my understanding that a shotgun that can fire 410 gauge shells as well as 45 Long Colt.

Incorrect - it is the other way around

Is there anyway to safely fire 45 ACP from 410 shotgun?

No

Unless the bore is rifled, I believe you would own an illegal firearm without some form of federal tax stamp. If the bore is rifled, the 410 is worthless; then you would need to decide which rifling you want and one of the cartridges would not be that accurate either

In short, a bad idea as mentioned above

OkieCruffler

I can't help but wonder how many folks drop a 45 colt into a .410 chamber (I have an old break action that will do it) every year.

nogo

.45 in .410

NO.

.44 spl./magnum shells chamber in a .410. Pulling the trigger on either is also a really bad idea best left to one's brother-in-law or irritating neighbor.

WV_gunner

It has be made to shoot .45 Colt in order to fire it safely. I'm not aware of any .45 ACP/.410 long guns. The only long gun I'm aware of safely firing .45 Colt/.410 is the Rossi Circuit Judge.

zippy13

The only long gun I'm aware of safely firing .45 Colt/.410 is the Rossi Circuit Judge.
Yes, but it has a .451 bore, not a .410. The "judge" concept is to lengthen the chamber of a .45 Colt revolver to accept a .410-bore shotshell. It will shoot the .45 Colts with an excessive bullet jump and the .410s sloppily -- it's safe, but neither situation is ideal.

SHR970

There was the predecessor to the Judge; the Thunder 5 made by MIL inc. There is also the 410 / 45 barrel for the Contrender.

There is also a video on Youtube of some folks firing a variety of "non spec" ammo from a single shot full choke 410. They fired stuff like 444, 454 Casull, 30-30, etc. through an inexpensive Brazilian gun and the gun held together. Just because they got away with it doesn't mean that I will try. At least they had the sense to remotely fire it for their "Experiments".

WV_gunner

The Circuit Judge works great and is surprisingly accurate. I enjoy mine. And they are almost .22lr quiet with .45 Colt.

And .410 isn't that much, your pattern will be decent I'm sure.

WV_gunner

Before you call me a liar, have you ever fired one? I have, probably around 200 .45 Colt bullets have been through mine. I got it as a gift in 2010. When I first shot it, I was very surprised of how quiet it is. But with a long cylinder and an 18 1/2 inch barrel, a handgun catridge isn't all that loud. These guns are very nice, my only complaint is the stock isn't polyurethane coated. The action is smooth, and has been flawless. It is also surprisingly accurate. I can't tell you of the grouping, because I haven't been to serious with it. But at around 80 yards I can consistently hit a 6 inch spinner target with no rest and open sights. This gun also fits me so well for such a small gun. It also patterns 3 inch 000 at within about 5 inches at 15 yards. In my opinion, this is an excellent gun. I didn't expect such a high quality because alot of people claim the handgun version isn't good. Well, I'm saying the long gun version, the Circuit Judge, is a great gun. And I'm speaking from my own personal experience.

dannyb

I'll second that

I have the Circuit Judge as well. The 45 LC shoots just fine, and I even manage to break flying clays with it when using .410. I was really skeevy about getting this gun because I've had poor luck with Taurus small frame revolvers, but this seems to work just fine.

Rampant_Colt

speaking of liabilities..

It's foolish nonsense like this that causes people to get injured, and then makes us all look bad. How many times are you going to risk losing an eye or bulging your barrel shooting .451-.454 diameter projectiles down your .410 diameter barrel? What if the bullet doesn't swage down and gets stuck in the barrel and you don't know? Guess what happens next?

Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.

WV_gunner

They only way I know to have a .45 ACP/.410 long gun is to get a S&W Governor. Then get a custom 18 inch barrel and you could make a stock for it.

BigJimP

Rampant Colt said....

" speaking of liabilities.. It's foolish nonsense like this that causes people to get injured, and then makes us all look bad. How many times are you going to risk losing an eye or bulging your barrel shooting .451-.454 diameter projectiles down your .410 diameter barrel? What if the bullet doesn't swage down and gets stuck in the barrel and you don't know? Guess what happens next?

Play stupid games; win stupid prizes."
--------------
and I agree !!