Shootin in Humid weather

Nagano21

Where I shoot, in the summer months it tends to be humid.I now this can not be good for your gun, so what do you all do to combat this problem? What especially makes it worse is that it is leavy a dry air conditioned house, and going out into the hot humid air, which collects moisture. IMO the only thing I can think of is to clean it ASAP when u get home, which shouldbe done anyway, but to make sure it has a good amount of oil before and after.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

CraigJS

You can also go to a gun store and buy a few moisture absorbing blocks to put into your case. Wipe down the outside of your gun to remove finger prints/hand oil. A silicone gun wipe, also found at the GS is what works well for the out side. Once clean and dry (if wet), a light film of oil/rust preventitive is all thats needed.

dave0520

I wouldn't excessively oil before shooting, as it can potentially cause unsafe pressures. Plus, the heat from the gun should cause any moisture to evaporate. When you get home, wipe it off with a silicone cloth, or better yet clean it and then wipe with a silicone cloth. I don't really do anything special for humid weather shooting and my guns don't seem to be negatively affected.

Nagano21

Good points. I do already use a silicon cloth after I clean my guns, or hold them. these moisture blocks, I have been thinkin about them before. what r the names of them/who makes them. I was Thinkin about using those bakingsoda ones, however, I do not know if little particles from them might get out, which would probably be corrosive to the gun.

I know that the heat from shootin who I guess evaporate the the moisture, however it would no in places of the gun that don't get hot, such as anything other than the barrel, so all the little nooks would still collect moisture. The same problem would occur from coming into the AC again when I got home, it would collect moisture.

Lastly, if I was to oil, everything well, except for down the barrel of the gun, the extra oil, should not cause unsafe pressure, that would only be caused if the barrel was heavily oiled. Which I know not to do.

gb_in_ga

Humid conditions?

I've really only had humidity related issues in 2 areas:

A> Waterfowl hunting. Of course, you are doing this in very moist conditions, quite often in awful weather conditions. Honestly, I found that the only special precautions necessary were to be sure that the shotguns were not dry on the surface, a light surface oiling is sufficient for protection. Or, use the silicone cloth. Then, after the hunt, a through cleaning is in order to remove all traces of moisture -- let common sense reign.

B> Military. Ok -- this was the acid test. Literally, the worst conditions imaginable. Corrosion was inevitable, and a constant battle to prevent. This was in the days before CLP, we only had LSA, and we had to slather that stuff on making sure that we weren't obstructing the bores of our weapons. We squirted that stuff directly into the actions of our M-16s which didn't seem to hurt anything at all -- for that matter, that was official SOP. We just had to make sure that the bore wasn't obstructed by LSA or anything else like mud or water. Again, when we were back in "normal" garrison conditions, we had to throughly clean & oil the weapons, which of course meant that we were getting rid of any latent moisture -- along with the inevitable corrosion which we were constantly plagued with.

Other than that, I really haven't had to do anything special to my weapons when dealing with humid conditions -- just my normal, run of the mill post-shooting maintainence seems to suffice.

hpg

I take a little extra time in the cleaning and oiling of my firearms after shooting them. hpg

WESHOOT2

since I tend not to clean them....

One gun is NP3'd.
One gun is hardchromed.
Many are stainless.
All but the NP3'd gun rust.

So I've been testing Corrosion X, and I'm very impressed; it's keeping even my worst offender pristine.

See, I keep my loading room kinda humid so the primers are safe(r) from static discharge.

orionengnr

try Eezox

it beat Corrosion-X (and everything else) in two fairly rigorous tests (Google it and see, or pm me and I will find the links). Yes, I own both, as well as Breakfree CLP and a bunch of others.

But all I use anymore is the Eezox...

CraigJS

I think Birchwood Casey makes some, but ANY desicant (SP) will soak up moisture. Electronics stores may also carry them.

springmom

I wouldn't worry about it

If there's actual condensation on the gun, then yes, wipe it down. Otherwise, just clean it well when you return from the range.

Springmom

MeekAndMild

Sometimes when I come in hot and sweaty to the point where my pocket pistol is dripping wet I wipe it off, put it on top of its holster and lay them both into Mrs. Meek's crisper. This takes a lot less time than field stripping and soaking in solvents.

A Crisper is a kitchen appliance which consists of a metal bread box which heats chips, crackers ginger snaps and the like to a temperature just over a hundred degrees. It keeps the chips and crackers crispy and it will drive out the moisture from a pistol and leather holster.

The device is not so harsh that overnight crisping will make the leather crack, nor has it ever in my experiance cooked off any rounds.