shooter, pistol, or balistics? Something is wrong here.

jmstr

I just went shooting this Sunday in a local canyon and tested the trigger job I gave my Baby Eagle. Works GREAT! However, I noticed something I couldn't figure out. It could have been because I was rushed to meet someone, but I didn't have the proper set up [measured distance, true paper target, shooters stand/table and rest] to decisively figure it out.

The problem was one of accuracy. I aimed my Baby Eagle at the target from about 15 paces [target being a shot-up propane tank, small bbq variety] and kept shooting over the target into the hill behind it. I would have the same problem with my Ruger GP100 [6" with .357 in it] at the same distance. However, Using the same techniques, my Kahr K9 hit the target every shot. The errors weren't left/right issues, but high shots.

I went back to my car for more ammo and decided to shoot a few rounds [two mags from baby Eagle [9mm] and 2 full cylinders from .357 Ruger] from about 25/30 paces. I hit the propane tank 9 out of 12 times with the .357 and about 19 times with the baby eagle [Yes, I did miss about 10 times. do the math :) ]. I was holding the pistol the same way and aiming the same way, at the same location.

Here is the question. Am I just running into the trajectory curve of the 9/.357 round? I was using a 6 o'clock hold with both of them, at both distances. I know the Baby Eagle is supposed to be sighted in for 25 yards. I just want to know if I need to aim lower due to ballistics at closer ranges, or if it is probably shooter error. I don't want the 15 yard performance in an emergency.

Any advice, comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

jms

WESHOOT2

FLAT TO 50 YDS

Most handguns will stay relatively flat-shooting out to 50 yds, and the 9x19 may be flat a little farther......

Have other (good) shooter try.

jmstr

*laughing* I am the first to admit I am NOT a good shooter. I'm just trying to get a handle on if I am a terrible shooter or not. I'll try to find a good shooter who is willing to test it for me next time I hit the range. I will also spend some time at the range with my shooters' rest and shoot 5 shot groups per target, recording point of aim and distance, as well as any noticed 'slips' while firing, on each target, then go on to the next one. I had night sights installed, but only on one pistol that had errors, so that doesn't seem like a likely prospect.

HOWEVER, I just had a thought. Is it possible that the 9mm and .357 bullets [9mm were all FMJ, .357 = Semi Wadcutter] were shooting through the target and hitting the dirt behind it? I know I was hitting it from about 25 paces because I could hear the sound, and I rocked the tank off its base in rapid fire. At 15 paces I was slow firing and could it be that I was too close to hear the sound of the bullet striking, as it went through the tank and into the dirt behind it? The target was already shot up. I added holes, [and dents from .357, I could see the lead smear in the dents after 25 yard firing], but could the bullet have traveled through it too fast to hear over report of combustion? I know. I'm just engaging in wishfull thinking.

If anyone lives in the Riverside/San Bernardino/Pomona area of Southern California and wants to help, I would be glad to meet on a weekend and see if it is me, the gun or what.

thanks.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I will be glad to come out and help you, assuming you pay all expenses.

Seriously, it is possible that at close range, you were dealing with the fact that the line of sight is above the barrel. This means that the bullet for some distance is actually rising in relation to the line of sight. It will cross the line of sight once at short range and then again at some longer range as it completes its parabolic arc. If you aimed at the target with the high sights of that gun, the bullet might well have been going up (in relation to the line of sight) as it passed the target, then down at the longer range.

Note that I say "in relation to the line of sight". No bullet ever actually goes up in relation to the bore; it can't do anything but drop after being released from the muzzle.

Jim